Monday, January 23, 2017

Afobe staying put

Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Kenny Jackett has revealed the Sky Bet Championship club have rejected a second bid from Norwich City for striker Benik Afobe.

Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Kenny Jackett has revealed the Sky Bet Championship club have rejected a second bid from Norwich City for striker Benik Afobe.

The former England Under-21 international, who joined Wolves from Arsenal in a deal believed to be worth around £2 million in January 2015, has scored 16 goals in 26 appearances in all competitions for Wanderers in 2015. 

“They have made a bid and it has been turned down,” Jackett said. “Benik Afobe is a Wolves player and when the window shuts he will still be a Wolves player.

“There is an enormous amount of speculation but he won’t be leaving. There are big things at stake and it is not just about one player.

“We are looking at the whole picture, the amount of time left in the window, the overall prices. There is so much to consider and everything points towards not letting anyone go.”

Wolves are backed by the bookmakers at 11/2 to win promotion to the English Premier League this season.

Albion reject Spurs’ Berahino bid

West Bromwich Albion chairman Jeremy Peace has confirmed the club have rejected a second approach from Tottenham Hotspur for forward Saido Berahino, who was left out of the Baggies match-day squad against Chelsea last weekend.

Berahino, 22, enjoyed a breakthrough season for the West Midlands club in 2014/15, tallying 20 goals and four assists in 38 competitive appearances.

The 22-year-old has reportedly attracted interest from several English Premier League clubs, including Liverpool, this summer, but nothing has materialised, with Albion seemingly keen to keep hold of their prized asset.

After receiving a bid, reportedly worth £18 million, for Berahino last week, Peace said: “We have no interest in selling Saido which is what I have told [Spurs chairman] Daniel Levy.

“I know we are living in an age where no club can say ‘never’ about the possibility of selling a player. However, the prospect of selling Saido is simply not on our agenda.

“We are going forward with Saido very much in our plans and still striving to add players to improve the balance of our squad.”

Now, according to Sky sources, the Baggies have turned down a second approach worth up to £21 million for the former England youth international.

“Our position remains unchanged. The sale of this player is not on our agenda,” confirmed Peace.

Meanwhile, in other news, the John Stones transfer saga seems to have taken a new turn, as Sky sources are reporting the player has submitted a written transfer request to Everton.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Shawn Etemadi


SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshock???cooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsad!?ideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top