Monday, September 25, 2017

Argentina could fail to qualify for World Cup without Messi, warns Menotti

SoccerNews in World Cup 17 Jul 2016

34 Views

Former Argentina boss Cesar Luis Menotti believes Lionel Messi’s retirement from international football has put their place at the World Cup at risk.

The Barcelona star announced he would no longer be available for selection for his country following the Copa America Centenario final defeat to Chile last month.

Supporters in Argentina championed a campaign to implore Messi to change his mind, while a number of current and former players – including Menotti – have said they expect the 29-year-old to go back on his decision.

And Menotti, who guided his country to World Cup glory in 1978, believes the team may not even qualify for the 2018 finals in Russia if Messi cannot be persuaded to return.

“There are only five teams going from South America and, without Lionel Messi, we run the risk of missing out,” he told La Nacion. “Maybe we need to start preparing for Qatar in 2022.”

Argentina are third in the qualifying table with 11 points from six matches, two points behind leaders Uruguay.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top