Italy international Leonardo Bonucci will continue to train with the Euro 2012 squad, despite his reported involvement in corruption.
Italian Football Federation (FIGC) vice-president Demetrio Albertini has explained that Bonucci has not been withdrawn from the national team squad for Euro 2012 because he is not under investigation by the Cremona Prosecutor in connection with Scommessopoli.
Domenico Criscito was dropped from Cesare Prandelli’s provisional squad on Monday, just hours after having his room at the Azzurri’s training base at Coverciano searched, and his agent revealed on Thursday that he wanted to know why Bonucci had not been axed as well.
However, while it was reported earlier this week that Juventus defender Bonucci had been implicated in the match-fixing scandal, Albertini said the centre-half has not been formally contacted by the authorities.
“Leonardo Bonucci has not received any notice from the prosecutor to the effect that he is under investigation,” the former Italy international told ANSA.
“The situation was different for Criscito, who received such a notice.”
Bonucci, who has been capped 13 times by his country, is currently preparing for the Azzurri’s final warm-up game for Euro 2012, against Russia on Friday.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!