Middlesbrough F.C. have completed the signing of highly-rated Chelsea defensive midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah on a season-long loan deal, according to the club’s official website, Mfc.co.uk.
The England youth international, 19, is currently surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge, having just returned from a loan spell at Nottingham Forest.
Chalobah will join Chelsea team-mate Kenneth Omeruo at the Riverside Stadium and is expected to start Saturday’s league clash against Charlton Athletic.
The 19-year-old midfielder, who can also play centre-back, put pen to paper on a new five-year deal with the West Londoners earlier this season and has been tipped as the long-term replacement for John Terry.
Moyes keeping tabs on Nick Powell
Manchester United boss David Moyes is continuing to monitor the progress of in-form midfielder Nick Powell during his loan spell at Wigan Athletic.
Powell, 19, netted his 10th goal of the season in the Latics’ 3-1 victory over League One side MK Dons in the FA Cup third round replay on Tuesday.
The 19-year-old, who joined United from Crewe Alexandra in a deal reportedly worth up to £6 million, has been Wigan’s most consistent forward-going threat this season.
Both Callum McManaman and James McClean have shown flashes of brilliance but their inconsistencies have been far too noticeable.
“It was always the plan to bring Nick on if he was needed and he was needed,” Rosler said after the FA Cup clash against MK Dons.
“He is 19, getting first-team football in the Championship and fighting for the play-offs.
“He is playing here, where the pressure is on. I have to be very careful that we do not burn him out.
“I think it is good for us and Manchester United. Hopefully, after the season is finished, they will get a player back with more experience of top Championship level.”
Powell — priced at 21/10 to score at anytime against Doncaster Rovers at the weekend — has tallied five goals and two assists in 19 Championship appearances for Wigan this term.
Mertesacker would welcome comaptriot Draxler to Arsenal
Arsenal centre-back Per Mertesacker has revealed he would welcome the addition of Schalke 04 ace Julian Draxler to the Gunners’ squad amid reports linking the latter with a €45.5 million move to the Emirates Stadium.
The Germany international, whose current contract at the Veltins-Arena expires in the summer of 2018, is regarded as one of the premier young talents in Europe.
“He is a great talent,” Mertesacker told the London Evening Standard. “He has already made a big impact at Schalke and in the German national team, despite his young age.”
“He would be very welcome here. I’m excited to see what happens.”
Draxler, 20, has bagged four goals and six assists in 22 appearances in all competitions for Schalke this season.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!