Monday, June 18, 2018

Championship Wrap: Leicester go top, Forest held

SoccerNews in English Premier League 17 Sep 2013


Leicester City moved top of the Championship on goals scored after their comfortable 2-1 over Blackburn Rovers at the King Power Stadium.

Lloyd Dyer and David Nugent put Nigel Pearson’s side ahead at the break, and they were able to hold onto the three points despite a 70th-minute Jordan Rhodes penalty.

Blackpool surrendered top spot as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Millwall.

Tom Ince gave Blackpool an early lead with a low strike from the edge of the penalty area, but Millwall came roaring back to pick up their first win of the season.

Liam Trotter levelled in first-half injury time before goals from Nicky Bailey and Steve Morison won the match for Steve Lomas’ side.

Burnley maintained their good start to the season with a convincing 3-0 win over Birmingham City at Turf Moor.

A Danny Ings double secured Sean Dyche’s side their fourth win of the season, with Scott Arfield scoring early in the second half.

Ings’ first came in the third minute before he wrapped up the win just before the hour. In between the striker’s two goals, Arfield netted his first league goal for the club with a well-taken header.

Early pacesetters Nottingham Forest lost ground on the leaders after being held to a 2-2 draw by 10-man Middlesbrough.

Forest had to come from two goals down to seal their point after Kei Kamara and George Friend had given

Forest saw Chris Cohen miss a penalty with the score at 1-0, but his blushes were spared as Matt Derbyshire and Darius Henderson rescued a point. Boro substitute Emmanuel Ledesma saw red in injury time for a crunching challenge.

Bolton Wanderers’ search for a first win still goes on but they were able to collect a third draw of the season against Derby County.

Nigel Clough’s side had won their opening three away matches of the season, but were pegged back by a resilient Bolton side to draw 2-2. Alex Baptiste opened the scoring for the home side before a Johnny Russell double moved Derby ahead.

Chris Eagles sealed a point for Dougie Freedman’s side with an equaliser in first-half stoppage time. The result leaves Bolton bottom of the table, but they closed the gap to Yeovil Town and Barnsley, who both lost.

Barnsley fell to a late Marc Pugh strike as Bournemouth collected their fourth win of the season.

Yeovil took the lead against Ipswich Town at Portman Road through Joel Grant, however they were not able to hold onto it as Daryl Murphy and Aaron Cresswell secured the win for Mick McCarthy’s side.

A Lewis McGugan double saw Watford move into sixth place as they beat Doncaster Rovers 2-1 at Vicarage Road.

The midfielder opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the 12th minute, only for Chris Brown to level for the visitors four minutes later. However, McGugan was on hand to take all three points with an 87th-minute winner.

Huddersfield Town’s mixed start to the season continues as they picked up a 2-1 victory over Charlton Athletic.

James Vaughan and Joel Lynch got the goals for Mark Robins’ side, with Cameron Stewart getting a late consolation for the visitors.


SoccerNews is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.



Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
More More