Former France and Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse announced his retirement from professional football on Monday.
Cisse, 34, was in the headlines last week, denying allegations he was involved in a plot to blackmail former team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over sex tape footage.
He has been without a full-time club since the end of last season, when he left Ligue 1 outfit Bastia.
Cisse said on Monday he could no longer handle the demands of professional football.
“The body says stop, now it’s over,” he told Canal+.
“I can’t practice high-level football.”
Cisse’s professional career started at Auxerre in 1998 and his goalscoring exploits led to a Liverpool move in 2004.
After his departure from Anfield, he spent time at numerous clubs – including Marseille, Sunderland, Panathinaikos and QPR.
Cisse represented France 41 times, scoring nine goals.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!