CONCACAF will make extensive changes in the way it does business after several of the governing body’s prominent officials were placed at the centre of the FIFA corruption scandal.
The organisation that oversees soccer in North America, Central America and the Caribbean announced on Monday that it has approved reform measures proposed by a three-man special committee.
The following changes are among those set to be instituted after approval over the weekend by the CONCACAF executive committee:
– Term limits will be imposed on all members of the executive committee, including the president
– Adjustments to the nomination and election process designed to prevent “entrenchment” on the executive committee
– Financial statements and compensation for executive committee members will be made public on the body’s website
– Hiring a Chief Compliance Officer to oversee compliance and fraud-prevention programs
– Create a whistleblower hotline administered by CONCACAF’s audit committee
– Conduct background checks on all vendors via a new “pre-approval” system
Those recommendations were made by the federation heads of the three largest countries in CONCACAF: Sunil Gulati of the U.S., Justino Compean of Mexico and Victor Montagliani of Canada.
They are charged with cleaning up the federation after many of its longtime power-brokers, most notably FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb and former FIFA vice president Jack Warner, were indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice in late May.
“This reform framework reflects CONCACAF’s commitment to strengthening our governance, management, and operations,” CONCACAF said in a statement on Monday.
“These reforms are intended to apply best practices for sound corporate governance to CONCACAF’s business operations. In implementing the reform framework, the confederation will demonstrate to its fans, sponsors, member associations and other stakeholders that CONCACAF is resilient and devoted to managing, developing, and promoting the game with accountability and transparency.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!