Liverpool chairman Tom Werner insists manager Kenny Dalglish’s job remains safe after the club parted ways with technical director Damien Comolli.
Frenchman Comolli’s departure was confirmed on Thursday and had raised questions about the future of the Scottish boss following the Reds’ poor run of form in the Premier League in which they have lost five of their past six matches.
But in an interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, the club’s American chairman has rubbished those suggestions.
“We’ve got great confidence in Kenny,” he said.
“We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.”
When asked about why Comolli and Liverpool had parted ways Werner pointed to failings in the league as well as a need to act with the transfer window soon approaching.
“I think it’s fair to say no supporter would be delighted with the results we’ve achieved this year,” he admitted.
“We feel we are a club that needs to be perceived as the strongest club in football and we want to get there. Frankly, we make these decisions with a great deal of care because it’s our track record in Boston to give people authority and we’ve had great success with our manager, who was there for eight years, and our general manager, so we prefer stability.”
“But when it’s time to act, we need to act. We’re coming close to the end of the season and the transfer window for the summer, and we felt it was important to make this change expeditiously.”
Although a suggestion was made that the change came because of their scrutinised transfer policy, there was a reluctance from the 62-year-old to confirm that was the sole reason for Comolli’s departure.
“I wouldn’t want to get specific about any particular decision that’s been made,” he said.
“We feel there is enough talent on the pitch to win and, as I said, we’ve been dissatisfied, as most supporters have been, with the results so far. But we’re also talking about the future – we have a strategy we need implemented and we felt Damien was probably not the right person to implement that strategy.”
After a disappointing league campaign, Werner assured fans that next season would see an improved performance with new faces brought in to strengthen the squad.
“We’ve had a strategy that we have agreed on. There was some disconnect on the implementation of that. That strategy is a strong one and it will continue,” he said.
“We need to build a strong system under the first team. We’re hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year.”