Sunday, October 22, 2017

Dalglish reiterates concerns over Suarez ban

SoccerNews in UEFA Europa League 4 Jan 2012

8 Views

Kenny Dalglish staged another vigorous defence of Luis Suarez on Tuesday.

The Liverpool manager again made suggestions of an FA conspiracy behind the eight-match ban handed to the Uruguayan striker.

Liverpool will not appeal the penalty given to Suarez for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra, but in a strongly worded statement the club maintained the 24-year-old is innocent.

After Liverpool’s 3-0 defeat to Manchester City, Dalglish said there were significant omissions in the independent 115-page report that cited Suarez as an ‘inconsistent’ witness.

The Scot declined the opportunity to offer a public apology to Evra for what Liverpool insist was a cultural misunderstanding of the meaning of the Spanish word ‘negro’, which the player admits to using.

Asked why he felt Suarez was being targeted by the FA, Dalglish said: “Wrong boy at the wrong time. If you ask a linguistics expert, he will tell you that in the part of the country that he comes from it’s perfectly acceptable.”

“His wife calls him that and I don’t think he is offended by her. We have made a statement and I think it is there for everybody to read.”

“There are a lot of things we would like to say but we would only get ourselves into trouble. We are being evasive but we will only get ourselves into trouble.”

“We know what’s going on and we know what not in the report.”

“It’s unfortunate that you don’t know the whole context of what went on. I can’t say any more, it’s up to the club. I don’t think we are digging a bigger hole, it’s unfortunate that we can’t be more forthcoming.”

Dalglish also defended the decision of the Liverpool players to wear T-shirts in support of Suarez ahead of their game against Wigan last month – and insisted he is not worried that the former Ajax man will be targeted for the rest of his career in England.

“I think it was a fabulous statement to make – a gesture of support for a guy who is their friend and revered in the dressing room,” Dalglish said.

“If one of your guys was in trouble, would you support him? The players wanted to show their support for their team-mate, what’s wrong with that?”

“If you are asking me about Luis playing in England, then no I’m not worried.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Dalglish reiterates concerns over Suarez ban"

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
russ ru
Guest
russ ru

kenny, the man was found guilty!! He should have learn’t that some things “acceptable” in his country are not ACCEPTABLE over here, PERIOD.

wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top