FC Twente swoop for Rosales and Chadli

Dutch champions FC Twente have officially announced the double signing of Roberto Rosales and Nacer Chadli. Venezuelan right back Rosales has transferred from Belgian outfit AA Gent for a reported 3 million euro fee, while attacking midfielder Chadli has been acquired from AGOVV Apeldoorn. Both Rosales and Chadli have signed three year contracts with the Tukkers.

Rosales’ transfer reunites the 21 year old with Twente boss Michel Preud’homme, who also managed the former at Gent before replacing Steve McClaren.

Chadli scored 28 goals in the last three seasons for AGOVV, including seventeen in the 09/10 season.

Both Rosales and Chadli could make their Twente debut next week against Roda JC.

[Source:- FC Twente]

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Robinho does not want Manchester return

(GSM) – Manchester City’s Robinho has revealed that he hopes to extend his loan stay at Santos.

The Brazilian forward has been on loan at the club where he began his career since last season’s winter transfer windon.

The 26-year-old is due to go back to Eastlands in mid-August.

The player is quote in the Daily Mail as saying: “This is my home. I hope I can stay, but it depends on Manchester City.

“I hope this is not my last game here but, for now, what I have been told is that they [the negotiations] are on a standstill and that I have to go back to Manchester.”

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini had claimed that he would be ready to welcome Robinho back to his squad should a switch fail to materialize.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Wenger blasts ‘disastrous’ squad rules

(GSM) – Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has labeled the new Premier League squad rules as “disastrous” for football.

As part of the rules, Premier League clubs will only be able to contain up to 25 senior players in their squads.

Wenger said: “This is a disastrous decision for football and players, I was quite amazed the Professional Footballers’ Association accepted it.

“It puts many players without clubs, and puts clubs in a weak position in the transfer market because when you have 25 and you buy another one you have to get rid of one.

“When the big clubs have more than 25 players the smaller club has to pay above their potential or the big club pays some of the salary. In either case it’s not satisfactory.”

Arsenal have only signed Laurent Koscielny from Lorient and Marouane Chamakh from Bordeaux after defenders William Gallas, Mickael Silvestre and Sol Campbell departed the Emirates.

Earlier this week, Wenger revealed he wants to sign a new defender.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Barcelona axe Marquez

Barcelona have confirmed in a statement that they have agreed with Rafa Marquez to terminate the Mexican’s contract.

Marquez has two years left of his contract with the Spanish giants, but decided to terminate the deal.

The Mexican defender has recently been linked with a move to Major League Soccer side the New York Red Bulls.

A statement on the club’s official website reads: “FC Barcelona and Rafa Marquez have reached a mutual agreement to rescind the player’s contract, which was due to run until 30th June 2012.

“A farewell ceremony will be held in the Camp Nou this Saturday at 6 pm. Club president Sandro Rosell will represent Barca and the event will be broadcast live by Barca TV.”

[Source: Barcelona’s official website]

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Liverpool chasing Belgian star

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is reportedly prepared to make a £12million bid for Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour.

The Mirror reports that Hodgson would like to sign the 22-year-old as a replacement for Javier Mascherano, who is closing in on a move to Italian side Inter Milan.

Defour is also being tracked by Manchester United and the midfielder’s agent admitted earlier this month that they expect a bid from Old Trafford.

Defour’s agent Paul Stefani told Sport.co.uk earlier this month: “Sir Alex is always interested in Steven ever since he sent him the letter when he was struggling with injury. He is interested but we have to wait for an offer to be validated. At the moment he is not 100% because of his long term injury, and now he has to work on recovering from this.

“Yes, they are interested, but many clubs are interested, from Spain, Italy, and Germany. To say that tomorrow he will go to England is not right. There is always interest and everyone wants to play in the Premier League because it is a very big competition. But, I think we will have to wait until he is a 100%, not 85%.”

[Source: The Mirror]

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Veloso looking forward to play under Gasperini

(GSM) – Sporting Lisbon’s Miguel Veloso expressed his delight at the prospect of working with Genoa manager Gian Piero Giasperini.

Despite interest from the Premier League, the Portugal midfielder is poised to join the Serie A side soon.

Arsenal and Manchester United are reported to be admirers, but Veloso, 24, is looking forward to playing under Gasperini.

Speaking to Telenord, Veloso said: “I can’t wait to start this adventure and to speak with Gasperini.

“I already know that Genoa are strong. I have seen them on television and I know that the team has big ambitions.

“Gasperini is a great coach and I am at his service.”

Sporting confirmed the deal and they are likely to sign Genoa’s Alberto Zapater in part-exchange.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

James hopes to stay in England squad

(GSM) – New Bristol City goalkeeper David James hopes to stay in the England squad despite playing in the Championship.

The former Portsmouth keeper signed a one-year contract after rejecting an offer from Scottish Premier giants Celtic.

James also turned down a move to Sunderland in order to move to Championship side Bristol.

However, many believe James’ move to the Championship may harm his international career.

“I don’t know what the future holds, and it was the same before the World Cup to be honest,” James told City’s official website.

“I enjoyed the World Cup to an extent, but obviously the results and the outcome were disappointing.

“I’ll never retire from England and hopefully my performances at Bristol City will keep me on the radar.”

James has been capped 53 times by England.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Will the Premier League rule changes make England a stronger team?

Home grown in England?

There was much talk during and after the World Cup about the reasons for England’s failure and the main one put forward was the lack of opportunities for young English players in the Premier League. It was said that the number of overseas players plying their trade in the English top flight was having a seriously damaging effect on the national team.

Improve

You may have noticed that this season the Premier League has imposed rules that they say are designed to increase the number of ‘home grown’ players in the League and therefore, in due course, improve the pool of talent available from which the national team manager can select his team.

The rules involve clubs naming twenty-five man squads which must include at least eight ‘home grown’ players.

Encourage

It sounds all pretty good in theory but if you look closely at the new rules you have to ask whether it will make the difference the Premier League says they are trying to encourage.

Rule 1
Clubs must register a squad of up to twenty-five players, which must include at least eight ‘home grown’ players, at the end of each transfer window.

Reality
‘Home grown’ players do not have to be English. ‘Home grown’ players are defined as those who “irrespective of nationality or age, have been affiliated to the FA or Welsh FA for a period of three seasons or thirty-six months prior to their twenty-first birthday”

This means, for example, that Arsenal could class Cesc Fabregas as ‘home grown’. Before his sale, Manchester United could have done the same with Cristiano Ronaldo.

Rule 2
Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of twenty-one.

Reality
I would say the important word in the above rule is ‘can’. There is no compulsion on the clubs to do so.

It also means that the likes of Chris Smalling, the Da Silva twins and Danny Wellbeck at Manchester United don’t have to be included in the twenty-five. The same goes for Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs at Arsenal. All of these players could be added as a supplement to the main squad of twenty-five.

Good

On the whole the rule changes are a good thing for the England national side as there should be more young English players included within the squads. However, when you see the amount of money the top English clubs pay for young teenagers from overseas, it is certainly true to say that at the top of the Premier League, the ‘home grown’ players are still likely to be from somewhere other than England.

I don’t want to sound cynical as I support this move by the Premier League as a step in the right direction. My cynicism is aimed more towards the top clubs who are likely to carry on pretty much as they are despite the changes being implemented.

Quality

At the World Cup we saw a final between Germany and Spain whereby all twenty-two players play in their own country. The same was true of England whilst this might help in the long run, it will take a lot more than these rule changes to bring the quality of English players into line with that of their European cousins.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Mancini leaves US tour due to family illness

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has flown back to Europe during his team’s US tour because of a family illness.

Mancini left Baltimore to fly to Italy on Friday, the English Premier League team said. Mancini’s father lives in Italy.

“Clearly it’s a difficult time for the boss with him having to go back for family reasons,” said Brian Kidd, who will manage the team with David Platt in Mancini’s absence. “It’s all happened very suddenly.”

Manchester City completes its exhibition American tour on Saturday against Inter Milan. It’s next game is August 7 against Valencia in England.

Manchester City opens its Premier League season August 14 against Tottenham.

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed

Malaga midfielder signs new contract

Malaga midfielder Antonio Galdeano Benítez, better known as Apoño, has signed a new contract with the Andalusian giants that that will keep him at the club till the summer of 2014.

Apoño has been at the club since 2007, when he joined them from Marbella. He started his career with Union Deportiva San Pedro.

Apoño’s new minimum fee release clause has been put at 18 million euros. His salary has also been increased, but details of the same were not released to the public.

Apono has played 87 games for Malaga in the last three seasons and has netted 12 times for the club.

[Source:- Malaga CF]

Sat 31 July, 2010
RSS Feed