Robinho gets fresh start at AC Milan

Brazilian star Robinho signed for Serie A giants AC Milan on Tuesday on a four-year contract for 18million euros from English Premier League side Manchester City where he had an unhappy two year spell.

“We paid 18million euros plus bonuses,” said club director Adriano Galliani.

The 26-year-old was a shock signing two years ago by City for 32.5million pounds but fell out of favour soon after Roberto Mancini took over as manager last season.

He was loaned out to Brazilian side Santos last January, but the Brazilian club were unable to come up with the money to make it a permanent transfer.

“I am really happy to be here,” said Robinho, who won two league titles while at Real Madrid prior to his move to Manchester City where he scored 14 goals in 41 appearances for the English side.

“I am delighted to have been given this opportunity and I want to prove my worth.

“My ambition is to play well and to help Milan regain the scudetto (the title),” added Robinho, who was a much sought after target of Milan president Silvio Berlusconi.

Robinho, who had an impressive World Cup finals scoring twice as Brazil exited in the quarter-finals at the hands of the Netherlands, is the second big name signing by Milan in the last few days after taking Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on a one year loan from Barcelona with the option to make it a permanent move at the end of that spell for 24million euros.

Robinho, who starred for Brazil in their 2007 Copa America victory topscoring with six goals, will add to what Ibrahimovic had already described as ‘on paper the best strikeforce in the world’ with Brazilian duo Ronaldinho and Pato already there.

Milan have spent big as they launch a concerted effort to halt bitter city rivals Inter’s recent domination which climaxed with the domestic double – taking their fifth successive league crown – and the Champions League title last season.

Robinho’s arrival saw the already unhappy 28-year-old striker Marco Borriello gain himself a move to AS Roma after sporting director Daniele Prade came to Milan for talks with the player, who had slammed the decision to bring Ibrahimovic to the club.

No details of the transfer were revealed for Borriello – scorer of five goals in his 10 international appearances – who found the net 14 times last season.

Also leaving the club was veteran Georgian international defender Kakha Kaladze, as the 31-year-old ended his 10 year spell in Milan by joining Serie A rivals Genoa.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Robinho gets fresh start at AC Milan

Brazilian star Robinho signed for Serie A giants AC Milan on Tuesday on a four-year contract for 15million euros from English Premier League side Manchester City where he had an unhappy two year spell.

The 26-year-old was a shock signing two years ago by City for 32.5million pounds but fell out of favour soon after Roberto Mancini took over as manager last season.

He was loaned out to Brazilian side Santos last January, but the Brazilian club were unable to come up with the money to make it a permanent transfer.

“I am really happy to be here,” said Robinho, who won two league titles while at Real Madrid prior to his move to Manchester City where he scored 14 goals in 41 appearances for the English side.

“I am delighted to have been given this opportunity and I want to prove my worth.

“My ambition is to play well and to help Milan regain the scudetto (the title),” added Robinho, who was a much sought after target of Milan president Silvio Berlusconi.

Robinho, who had an impressive World Cup finals scoring twice as Brazil exited in the quarter-finals at the hands of the Netherlands, is the second big name signing by Milan in the last few days after taking Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on a one year loan from Barcelona with the option to make it a permanent move at the end of that spell for 24million euros.

Robinho, who starred for Brazil in their 2007 Copa America victory topscoring with six goals, will add to what Ibrahimovic had already described as ‘on paper the best strikeforce in the world’ with Brazilian duo Ronaldinho and Pato already there.

Milan have spent big as they launch a concerted effort to halt bitter city rivals Inter’s recent domination which climaxed with the domestic double – taking their fifth successive league crown – and the Champions League title last season.

Robinho’s arrival saw the already unhappy 28-year-old striker Marco Borriello gain himself a move to AS Roma after sporting director Daniele Prade came to Milan for talks with the player, who had slammed the decision to bring Ibrahimovic to the club.

No details of the transfer were revealed for Borriello – scorer of five goals in his 10 international appearances – who found the net 14 times last season.

Also leaving the club was veteran Georgian international defender Kakha Kaladze, as the 31-year-old ended his 10 year spell in Milan by joining Serie A rivals Genoa.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Ferreira announces international retirement

(GSM) – Portugal defender Paulo Ferreira has announced his retirement from international football.

The Chelsea player made the decision despite being called into the squad for his country’s opening two Euro 2012 qualifiers.

The 31-year-old, who made 62 appearances for the national side, has informed the Portuguese Football Federation of his decision.

He was a substitute in the final of Euro 2004 in his home country, coming off the bench but unable to prevent Portugal losing to Greece.

Ferreira played at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 but made just one appearance at this summer’s World Cup.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Guinean international Bah signs for VfB Stuttgart

Guinean international midfielder Mamadou Bah signed for German Bundesliga side VfB Stuttgart on a three year contract on Tuesday for around 600,000 euros from French Third Division outfit Strasbourg.

The 22-year-old – a member of the Guinea side that reached the 2008 Afirca Cup of Nations quarter-finals – had been at Strasbourg since 2007 playing 61 times and scoring four goals.

“He is a young player, and very talented,” said Fredi Bobic, Stuttgart’s sports director.

“He will give us more choice in midfield. We are convinced of his ability.”

According to Bobic, Bah had also been in talks with French Ligue 1 side Auxerre, who could offer him Champions League group action.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Holders Rangers face Dunfermline in League Cup

Rangers will start their attempt to retain the Scottish League Cup with a third round tie against First Division club Dunfermline at Ibrox.

Walter Smith’s Scottish champions defeated St Mirren 1-0 in the final at Hampden Park in March and will expect to progress to the latter stages again.

Celtic have been drawn at home against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, who they beat 1-0 on the opening day of the Scottish Premier League season.

In another all-top flight clash, Hibernian travel to Kilmarnock.

Aberdeen will have revenge on their minds when they face First Division side Raith at Pittodrie after being knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Rovers last season.

Dundee United face Ross County in a repeat of last season’s Scottish Cup final.

3rd rnd draw:

Rangers v Dunfermline

Kilmarnock v Hibernian

Aberdeen v Raith

Falkirk v Hearts

Celtic v Inverness CT

Ross County v Dundee Utd

St Johnstone v Queen of the South

Brechin v Motherwell

The ties will take place on September 21 and September 22.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Milan sign Robinho

(GSM) – Milan have signed Robinho from Manchester City on a permanent deal, the Italian club have announced on their official website.

The 26-year-old forward was unsettled at Eastlands following his big money move from Real Madrid in 2008 and had spent the second half of last season on loan at Santos.

A statement from Milan read: “AC Milan announces it has acquired player Robinho on a permanent deal from Manchester City.

“The Brazilian player has signed a four-year contract with the Rossoneri club.”

The fee is undisclosed but is reported to be around € 15m (£12.5million), which would represent a considerable loss for City on a player they signed for a British record fee of £32.5million from Real Madrid two years ago.

Milan signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Barcelona on Monday and Robinho’s arrival means the Rossoneri will have a lot of Brazilian flair with Ronaldinho and Alexandre Pato already on the books.

Earlier on deadline day, Robinho expressed his satisfaction about joining the Italian giants.

“I am very happy,” he said. “Milan is an excellent club.”

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Valencia sign Stankevicius

(GSM) – Valencia have agreed to sign Sampdoria defender Marius Stankevicius on a season long loan.

The Lithuania international has already played for Los Che’s rivals Sevilla on loan last season.

And the 29-year-old will join up with his new team mates after the forthcoming international break.

“He’s a strong player, good at bringing the ball out and capable of playing in a number of defensive positions,” technical secretary Braulio Vazquez told the club’s website on Tuesday.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

PSG sign Ivorian international Tiene

Ivory Coast international defender Siaka Tiene signed for French giants Paris Saint Germain from Ligue 1 rivals Valenciennes on Tuesday for a million euros, according to the selling club.

The 28-year-old – capped over 50 times and a member of the side that lost on penalties to Egypt in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations final – had been at Valenciennes since 2008 having arrived from St Etienne.

PSG for their part loaned out young midfield prospect Younousse Sankhare on a season long loan to Ligue 2 side Dijon with the option of buying him outright.

The 20-year-old has fallen out of favour this season having played 22 matches in the last campaign scoring once.

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Zebina joins Brescia

(GSM) – Jonathan Zebina has completed his move to Brescia, after having his contract terminated with Juventus, on a free transfer.

The former French international, who had been at the club for six years before his release, has been replaced by Arsenal full-back Armand Traore, who joined in a loan deal.

Zebina has signed on a two-year deal and was officially announced on Tuesday despite the agreement being reached the previous day.

“Brescia Calcio announce to have secured the services of Jonathan Zebina who has signed a two-year deal,” a statement posted on the club’s official website reads.

“The player will presumably join his new team-mates tomorrow (Wednesday) evening.”

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed

Walcott ready to make amends for World Cup snub

Theo Walcott refuses to blame anyone for his failure to make England’s World Cup squad and believes he is ready to reignite his international career in Friday’s Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria.

Arsenal winger Walcott was surprisingly omitted from Fabio Capello?s World Cup squad amid rumours his lack of progress and inability to follow orders had left the Italian frustrated.

However, Capello has been quick to turn to the 21-year-old following England?s miserable performances in South Africa and he is expected to start against Bulgaria at Wembley in the opening Euro qualifier.

Walcott has enjoyed a hugely encouraging start to the season with Arsenal, scoring four goals so far, including a hat-trick against Blackpool.

The player once hailed as England?s great hope following three goals in a World Cup qualifier in Croatia is confident he is on the way back to being a major player for England.

“Everything has gone well so far,” he said. “I had a very good pre-season with no injuries and I had a nice break in the close-season so I just have to keep my feet on the ground.

“I don’t know if missing the World Cup has given me impetus. It was one of those things we will never know.

“But I didn’t point fingers at anyone, I just looked at myself. It was disappointing not going but I didn’t want to blame anyone; I blamed myself and just made sure it didn’t happen again.

“I didn’t want to think too much about it, and had a good mental break because you want to spend time with your family when you can.

“It is nice to be back in the squad and hopefully I can let football do the talking now.”

Walcott’s first priority will be to impress Capello in training this week in a bid to prove, at the tender age of 21, he is still learning and improving — and he was quick to dismiss speculation that Capello?s poor communication with his players has been at the heart of England’s problems.

“The message always gets across to us players, we always know what to do on the pitch,” he insisted.

“We have to go out there and prove people wrong. We want to try and do it for him. He is our manager and has got tremendous faith in us all.

“Our last qualification went very well, we won every single game pretty much. We have got new players coming in and I think we have a nice balance between young and experienced players.”

Tue 31 August, 2010
RSS Feed