Internacional president Giovanni Luigi played down speculation linking Leandro Damiao with a move to Liverpool, insisting the Reds have not made an offer for the Brazil international, Sky Sports understands.
Damiao, 24, has been linked with a move to Tottenham on several occasions over the past few seasons, but Andre Villas-Boas has surely ended his pursuit of the Brazilian talisman following the signing of Roberto Soldado from Valencia CF.
Recent reports have claimed Liverpool are considering a move for the highly-rated 24-year-old striker, with speculation continuing to link Luis Suarez with Real Madrid.
However, Luigi has revealed the Reds have not contacted him regarding Damiao.
“There is nothing,” Luigi told Zero Hora. “Liverpool never made any offer, and I have never received a phone call from them.
“I don’t even know if they could afford to sign Leandro Damiao.
“The Zenit [St Petersburg] story was strong some time ago, but later they never talked about Leandro Damiao. Tottenham talked with me on January 30 and 31, then never again.”
Since breaking into the Internacional side in 2010, Damiao, whose current contract — which includes a release clause of €60 million — expires on 30 September 2017, has scored 85 goals in 156 appearances in all competitions for Nação Vermelha.
Cardiff sign Kevin Theophile-Catherine
Premier League newboys Cardiff City have completed the signing of France Under-21 international defender Kevin Theophile-Catherine from Stade Rennais, according to the club’s official website, www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk.
Theophile-Catherine, 23, has signed a four-year contract at Cardiff City Stadium, becoming Malky Mackay’s seventh signing of the summer behind Andreas Cornelius, Gary Medel, John Brayford, Maximiliano Amondarain, Simon Moore and Steven Caulker.
“He is a good defender, he is someone we have tracked over the last year in France,” said Mackay.
“He is someone who has pace, is aggressive, and has good experience in the French top division, so he is someone we feel will be a good addition to our squad.”
The France Under-21 international reportedly cost the Bluebirds a fee in the region of £2 million.
In total, Cardiff have spent over £30 million this summer, having broken their transfer record on three occasions (Cornelius, Caulker, Medel), but it must be said that the Welsh club have spent their money wisely, as is evident by their last two Premier League results, a 3-2 win over Manchester City and a 0-0 draw to Everton.
The Bluebirds’ next English Premier League fixture is away to fellow top-flight newcomers Hull City A.F.C. at the KC Stadium on 14 September.