Derby County have reportedly informed Liverpool a deal for Will Hughes will cost at least £15 million, The Mirror understands.
Hughes, 18, emerged as a transfer target for the Reds earlier this week, with reports suggesting the Merseysiders had lodged bids of £6 million and £10 million for the highly-rated teenager.
However, Derby manager Nigel Clough has rubbished the aforementioned speculation, insisting the Rams have yet to receive a formal offer for Hughes.
“There’s obviously speculation about Will Hughes flying around but we have had no bids or contact from anyone. Nothing has changed,” said Clough.
“I cannot predict what is going to happen but I do not see it changing. I think it will be pretty much as we are when the window closes, unless there is somebody sitting there with an awful lot of money burning a hole in their pocket.
“If somebody comes in through the front door and makes an official enquiry or bid, we will have to react to it. But we are not in a situation where we have to do anything, which is lovely.”
The England Under-21 international, one of the top prospects in English football, is viewed as the potential long-term replacement for Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard at Anfield.
Now then, when asked about the rumoured £6 million, Clough chortled and then said: “Nobody knows what we want or what the fee is going to be because we have not got a specific valuation in mind.
“Would it be more than £6 million? Yes, I think it is fair to say that. We just think it is going to be a very, very substantial figure to tempt him away.”
According to Tom Hopkinson of the Sunday People, Derby have now informed Liverpool they will accept a £15 million-plus offer for Hughes. Overvalued.
But Liverpool, who infamously paid a combined £55 million for Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing in 2011, can surely work out a reasonable fee for the 18-year-old starlet. Perhaps an even £20 million.
Chelsea, Willian agree terms
Chelsea have reached an agreement with Anzhi Makhachkala and Willian for the transfer of the Brazilian No. 10, according to the club’s official website, www.chelseafc.com.
Willian, 25, has been the subject of interest from Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur this summer, but a move to Stamford Bridge now seems all but finalised.
The deal, pending a work permit, would pave the way for someone to leave Chelsea, either on loan or permanently, as suggested by manager Jose Mourinho earlier this week.
Both Juan Mata and Victor Moses have been linked with summer moves away from West London, with the former being linked with Manchester United and the latter with West Bromwich Albion.
West Brom have already brought in Manchester City outcast Scott Sinclair, but a move for Moses seems much more probable than Mata joining United, unless of course Wayne Rooney joins Chelsea before 3 September.
Oh by the way, United are scheduled to host Chelsea at Old Trafford on Monday night.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!