Monday, April 23, 2018

FA Cup wrap: Blackburn dump Arsenal, Millwall advance

SoccerNews in English Premier League 16 Feb 2013


Arsenal crashed out of the FA Cup as a goal from Colin Kazim-Richards secured Blackburn Rovers’ passage into the quarter-finals.

Arsenal crashed out of the FA Cup as a goal from Colin Kazim-Richards secured Blackburn Rovers’ passage into the quarter-finals.

The loss means that the Gunners will have to win the Champions League if they are to end their seven-year hunt for a trophy.

Arsene Wenger’s side dominated much of the game, but found chances difficult to come by, particularly in the first half.

Wenger selected a strong team for the tie, with Thomas Vermaelen starting despite being the only player available to start at left-back against Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

Elsewhere, Olivier Giroud and Gervinho were in attack, while there was also a strong presence on the bench, featuring the likes of Jack Wilshere, Santi Cazorla and Lukas Podolski.

For Blackburn, there was a place on the bench for former Gunner David Bentley, who famously scored from almost 40 yards against Arsenal for parent club Tottenham in a remarkable 4-4 draw.

Wenger’s team had plenty of the ball in the opening stages, but despite a succession of corners, could not create any clear opportunities until the 24th minute, when Abou Diaby forced a good save from 22-year-old goalkeeper Jake Kean with a header.

Kean was called into action again minutes later, when a deflected defensive header looped towards his goal, but the keeper clawed it out for yet another corner.

With the first half drawing to a close, the clearest opening of the match came and went as Gervinho was threaded through by Tomas Rosicky, only to place his shot wide of Kean’s post, having sent the keeper the other way.

The first 45 minutes drew to a close with the sides level, and the game in need of something to ignite it in the second half.

There was early pressure from the Gunners in the second half, but they still weren’t creating anything of note as the visitors’ defence held strong.

The 67th minute heralded the first real moment of note in the second half, as Rosicky struck a stunning effort from 25 yards that crashed back off Kean’s crossbar, while Gervinho was sent through on goal only to be denied by a last-ditch tackle from Grant Hanley.

With 20 minutes to go, Wenger made his move, with Wilshere, Walcott and Cazorla replacing Gervinho, Rosicky and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

But it didn’t have the desired effect as just one minute later, the Gunners were split open by a long ball. Martin Olsson’s strike was pushed out by Szczesny, but only back in front of goal, and Kazim-Richards was on hand to bounce an awkward shot home via the post.

The stage was set for a Gunners onslaught, and they duly obliged with the visitors dropping deeper and deeper in a bid to protect their lead.

But despite their dominance, the chances weren’t being converted. Monreal dragged shots wide, while Walcott had a penalty appeal turned down after being incorrectly adjudged offside, and Diaby had a shot pushed away by Kean with five minutes to go.

With two minutes to go, the Gunners spurned another chance as Walcott headed an effort straight at Kean, while an injury-time shot from Giroud was cleared off the line and Arteta smashed an effort into the side netting as Wenger’s side exited the competition.

Meanwhile, Millwall avoided a potential banana-skin to advance to the last eight with a comfortable 3-0 win over non-league Luton Town at Kenilworth Road.

First-half goals from James Henry and Rob Hulse and a second-half strike from Danny N’Guessan ensured the Lions progressed to the quarter-finals of the tournament for the first time since they were beaten in the 2004 final by Manchester United.

Barnsley are also through to the quarters after surviving a second-half MK Dons fightback to secure a 3-1 victory at Stadium MK.

The visitors roared out of the blocks and, inspired by midfield playmaker Jacob Mellis, established a two-goal lead through Chris Dagnall and Marlon Harewood inside 20 minutes.

Lifeless before half-time, the Dons improved after the break but Dean Bowditch’s goal was all they could muster and Dagnall added a late third on the counterattack to seal the win.

More to follow


SoccerNews is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.



Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
More More