Sion sporting director Marco Degennaro has confirmed the club are on the verge of signing former AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso.
Italian sources had claimed earlier on Thursday the 34-year-old was close to joining Galatasaray on a one-year deal worth 1.5 million euros.
However, Gattuso has made a U-turn on his decision and is close to joining Sion on a reported two-year deal which will keep him at the Swiss side until 2014.
“We moved well, tomorrow (Friday) we will have the final meeting,” Degennaro told Radio Mana Mana. “Everything is in place to complete the deal.
“Sion’s project will be built around Gattuso. He immediately got on well with the president.”
It is believed the Swiss side, who finished ninth in the domestic league this season, will hold a press conference on Friday to announce the signing.
Last month, Degennaro revealed Sion were interested in Alessandro Del Piero, who is on the lookout for a new club as his Juventus contract will run out at the end of the month.
“Del Piero? We would like to sign him, but let’s keep our feet on the ground,” Degennaro said.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!