Porto striker Hulk has sought to put an end to the debate about his inclusion in Brazil’s Olympic squad by claiming he has nothing to prove.
The 25-year-old striker was one of three overage players, alongside 27-year-old Thiago Silva and 24-year-old Marcelo, selected by Mano Menezes for the Under-23 competition.
Brazil great Romario last week criticised the selection, claiming more experienced players should have been chosen for the three overage places.
Hulk criticised Romario’s comments last weekend, demanding respect from the retired forward, and the Porto star has now said he has no need to prove himself to anyone.
“Everyone has their own opinion,” he told reporters.
“I admire Romario a lot, he was my idol together with Ronaldo, but I do not have anything to prove to anyone. What I have to do is play football.
“This is the first time that I join up with the national team in Brazil. I am happy. The fans’ support is impressive. I am ready to help.”
Brazil’s first match of the London Olympic Games is against Egypt on July 26, before games against Belarus and New Zealand.