Indiana Hoosiers backup quarterback Zander Diamont will end his football career following his team’s bowl game with the intention of prioritising his future.
“If I’m going to go out, I’m going to go out my way,” Diamont told reporters on Saturday. “I think that for my safety and my future – I’m not going to the NFL – I need my brain. So that was the decision.”
The junior signal caller, who claimed he suffered “a lot” of concussions throughout his playing career, discussed his health with his family before approaching head coach Kevin Wilson to inform him of his decision last week.
“One of his gifts is his ability to run but he’s a small guy and he plays with a lot of heart and a lot of courage,” Wilson said. “I think some of those hits are adding up on him.”
As for what’s next for the California native, Diamont is not certain where he’ll end up but says he plans to give the entertainment industry in Los Angeles a try. Nonetheless, he’s grateful for his opportunity to play the sport he loves.
“This game is life and I couldn’t be more grateful for the growth it’s brought me,” Diamont said.
During Diamont’s three-year career at Indiana, he recorded 552 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns while adding 837 passing yards and one passing touchdown.
The Hoosiers (6-6, 4-5 Big Ten) became bowl eligible for the second consecutive year by defeating the rival Purdue Boilermakers 26-24 on Saturday.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!