Friday, November 24, 2017

Ireland have ´no excuses´ for Euro exit, says Keane

SoccerNews in General Soccer News 19 Jun 2012

6 Views

Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane insisted his side can have ‘no excuses’ for their early exit from Euro 2012.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s team lost all three of their Group C games with their final defeat coming in a 2-0 capitulation to Italy, who progressed into the quarter-final stage alongside Spain.

Keane also admitted there was never any chance of Ireland changing their style of play considering it was the same game plan that ensured their place at tournament.

“We have no excuses, our preparations went fine and we can stand here all night and discuss but we couldn’t be prepared better,” Keane said.

“The criticism is always there, was for last four years, and we have always been playing that way, got our results, got here, so why change in the tournament?

“It’s the manager’s decision but we were quite happy the way we played for four years.

“We are obviously disappointed, we wanted to give something to our fans and to ourselves to go home with and as we didn’t, we are not happy.

“We played well, it was a different game to the way we played previously but then come up two set pieces from which we concede and we know that it should be our stronger side.”

Keane maintained the Ireland squad were fully committed in their three matches but conceded the better sides progressed from the group stage.

“After all we got beaten three times but there can’t be any complaints to the players, we all gave our 100 percent, we can put our hand high and simply say that we were beaten by better boys,” said Keane.

“Of course, you come to this tournament with an aim to win, being so many years in football, being competitive, professional, you never think you will end up on the back foot.

“Tonight, we got in their faces, played better from the start but we haven’t created much chances for ourselves and then got beaten from a corner from the smaller man on the pitch so that is hugely disappointing.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top