Monday, August 21, 2017

Jarvis a ´marked man´: McCarthy

SoccerNews in English Premier League 7 Apr 2011

2 Views

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy insists star winger Matt Jarvis was already a marked man before his recent England debut.

The 24-year-old made his full international bow in the recent 1-1 draw with Ghana, but McCarthy says Saturday’s opposition Everton will already know all about Jarvis.

“He’s played against everyone and he’s skinned every one of them at some stage,” McCarthy said. “He’s had better success against some than others but he’s played well all season long.”

“I don’t think there will be any surprises from any full-back over the next seven games and people saying ‘I didn’t realise he was that good.’ He’s been a marked man all season because of his performances.”

“He will get that spring in his step, no question, because you do. I don’t know how it works but you get that bit more belief in you.”

“I know it does because it happened to me – I felt a better player for playing for Ireland. You watch, listen and learn and pick things up, you become like a sponge, soaking it all up.”

“And Jarvis will. I guess being recognised as a top player by the top manager can’t do you any harm at all.”

Despite Wolves going down to a heavy 4-1 defeat at Newcastle last week, McCarthy says the 4-4-2 formation used in that game could be adopted.

Wolves had previously used a 3-5-1 system, but the former Republic of Ireland manager hinted he might stick with two up front.

“I guess how well 4-4-2 works is determined by how well the two centre-forwards play,” McCarthy said.

“Steven Fletcher and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake were our best two players on Saturday. I thought the pair of them worked really well.”

“I thought the two up front played very well together. We will see – everything is up for consideration. I haven’t had one system set in stone that I’ve played all season. If I’ve needed to change it, I’ve changed it.”

“The lads have all played 4-4-2 – but I wouldn’t say it’s easier because they have played both ways, with three in the middle or two in the middle.”

Defender Ronald Zubar (back) and forward Kevin Doyle (knee) are definitely out.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top