Liverpool have submitted a bid in the region of £12.5 million for Bologna ace Gaston Ramirez, according to the London Evening Standard.
In late July, Ramirez’s agent Pablo Betancourt arrived in London to hold talks with an unnamed Premier League club regarding his client.
“Gaston is ready to leave Italy – so much so I am in London for talks with a Premier League club,” revealed Betancourt.
“He is one of the most important players in Uruguay, so there are no shortage of offers.”
Now that Liverpool have launched an official approach for the 21-year-old Uruguay international, it is quite evident that Liverpool were that unnamed club, and unsurprisingly so.
The Reds already have two Uruguay international’s, Luis Suárez and Sebastián Coates, on their books, with a potential third on the horizon.
Ramirez bagged eight goals and four assists in 33 league appearances for Bologna last term.
Liverpool Transfer News | 2012 Summer Transfer Window
Arrivals: Fabio Borini (A.S. Roma)
Departures: Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbache), Fabio Aurelio (Gremio), David Amoo (Preston North End), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell’s Old Boys) and Stephen Darby
Wigan reject Moses bid
Wigan Athletic have rejected Chelsea’s latest offer for star winger Victor Moses, ESPN Soccernet understands.
According to reports, Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay launched another official approach for Moses on Monday, but failed to agreed a deal with Wigan chairman Dave Whelan.
Moses, who was valued by Wigan at £10 million earlier this summer, could move to Stamford Bridge for just £8.5 million.
“I have spoken to Chelsea’s chief executive and they are easy to deal with, we have told them the price and they will come back and agree it or not,” Whelan told ESPN.
“We would much prefer the player to sign a new contract and stay but he wants to go to Chelsea and its a good club so we cannot stand in his way.”
Moses was arguably the Latics’ best player last season, tallying six goals and one assist in 38 league appearances (36 starts).
The 21-year-old will likely start the season as the Blues’ third-choice winger, behind the likes of Juan Mata and newboy Eden Hazard.
However, he will still have to compete with the likes of Marko Marin and Daniel Sturridge for a place in Roberto Di Matteo’s pecking order.
The former Crystal Palance winger is expected to join Chelsea before next Sunday’s Community Shield.
Chelsea will kick-off their 2012-13 English Premier League campaign against none other than Wigan Athletic on Sunday, 19 August at the DW Stadium in North West England.