Inter Milan have finally come to a settlement with former coach Roberto Mancini, the club said on Saturday.
Mancini was sacked by Inter in May 2008, when he was replaced by Portuguese Jose Mourinho, despite having led Inter to three titles in a row.
However, as is often the case in Italy, the sacked coach remained on the club’s payroll as they attempted to avoid coughing up a huge pay-off.
Had Macini found alternative employment in the meantime, he would have had to quit his contract at Inter in order to take up a new coaching position.
However, now the two parties have come to a deal rumoured to be worth eight million euros that liberates Mancini to seek a new club.
“F.C. Internazionale has reached a mutual agreement with Roberto Mancini for the resloution of his sporting contract,” said a brief Inter statement on their website.
According to Italian press reports, Mancini has been paid eight million euros to severe ties with Inter on a contrat worth 14 million euros that had more than two years still to run.
He is now expected to be in the running to replace Manuel Pallegrini as Real Madrid boss, should the under pressure Chilean be ousted from the Bernabeu hot-seat.
Mancini won three Serie A crowns in his four seasons at the San Siro, ending a painful 18-year wait for the scudetto in the blue half of Milan.
But the first of those only came after both Juventus and AC Milan were punished for match-fixing and it was widely felt that Inter won the title more by default than through their own merit.
Those punishments, that saw the previously dominant Juventus relegated to Serie B and lose many of their star players and ushered in a period of decline for Milan, changed the power-structure in Serie A with Inter emerging as the only ‘big club’ over the subsequent couple of years with only cash-strapped AS Roma capable of putting up a fight with Inter on the field.
Despite three titles in a row Mancini paid for his failure to take Inter into the latter stages of the Champions League.