Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri says he is in no rush to sign a contract extension after guiding the club to UEFA Champions League qualification.
Napoli made sure of second place in Serie A and an automatic Champions League berth with a 3-0 win at Bologna on Wednesday, as strikes from Marek Hamsik, Edinson Cavani and Blerim Dzemaili delivered all three points.
Mazzarri’s deal with Napoli runs out at the end of the season, and it remains to be seen if will still be at the Stadio San Paolo in 2013/14.
“There are no problems with President Aurelio De Laurentiis and we spoke again today,” he said.
“My decision is a personal one and I have to evaluate many things before deciding whether to continue with Napoli or not.
“In order to win the title you need a squad that can achieve that. If you have a squad full of super champions, then of course it’s easier to win the Scudetto.
“Look at the differences in budget and wages between Napoli and Juventus.”
Napoli last qualified for the Champions League in 2011/12, but saw star forward Ezequiel Lavezzi leave for Paris Saint-Germain at the beginning of this campaign.
Nevertheless, Mazzarri – who took over at the club in October 2009 – said he prefers the shape of his current squad.
“I am very satisfied with what we’ve done so far and we want to end the season on a high,” he said.
“In certain ways, I liked the team even more than the first time we got into the Champions League, as we are behind only an extraordinary Juventus.
“For the last four years Napoli have reached Europe and this is why the players deserve nothing but praise.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!