Monaco have announced the loan signing of Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov until the end of the season.
The 33-year-old is seen by Monaco boss Claudio Ranieri as the perfect replacement for the injured Radamel Falcao, who damaged knee ligaments during a Coupe de France tie with Monts Or Azergues earlier this month.
Berbatov had also been linked with a move to Tottenham but will now seek to aid Monaco’s bid to claim the Ligue 1 title.
He told the club’s official website he was looking forward to getting started, stating: “I am both happy, excited and a little nervous to be honest.
“I cannot wait to start training with my new partner and begin a new chapter in my career.”
Berbatov brings experience in Falcao’s absence, with Ranieri’s other striking options all under 23 years old, and vice-president Vadim Vasilyev is expecting big things from the Bulgarian.
“Dimitar will bring us all his experience and talent,” said Vasilyev. “His arrival is of course related to the injury (for) Radamel Falcao.
“With two tournaments to play, he will be a great asset alongside Emmanuel Riviere, Valere Germain and Anthony Martial.”
Berbatov is the second top scorer at Craven Cottage this season with four Premier League goals, but has been allowed to move on after Fulham signed Konstantinos Mitroglou on Friday.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!