Manchester United boss David Moyes has heaped praise on Adnan Januzaj, Jesse Lingard and Wilfried Zaha after the young trio helped the Red Devils conclude their pre-season tour of Australia and the Far East with a 5-2 win over Kitchee FC in Hong Kong.
Lingard, who joined United in the summer of 2009, scored his fourth goal of the pre-season against Kitchee, guaranteeing he finished as the top scorer.
Meanwhile, Januzaj also found the back of the net in Hong Kong, while Zaha turned in yet another impressive first-half performance.
“A couple of the young lads, Adnan and Jesse Lingard, who I didn’t know as much about, did well and Wilfried Zaha, who has just joined, he has shown what he is capable of in the games he has played,” said Moyes.
“I think they will go away from the trip feeling they have contributed to it.”
Lingard and Januzaj have, perhaps unexpectedly, made a strong case for first-team consideration this season, and could subsequently be rewarded with an Old Trafford stay (versus of being sent out on loan).
The same probably applies to Zaha, but the England international is still probably ahead of both Lingard and Januzaj in Moyes’ pecking order.
The former Everton manager enjoyed his first trip with United and happens to be “very impressed” with his players.
“I am taking away the great experience of my first trip with Manchester United in general and what the football club means around the world,” added Moyes.
“I have also had a chance to get to know the players and try to settle into my new environment and for the players to get to know me as well. They have been working with a great manager for a long time a lot of them, so it is going to take time. But I have really enjoyed working with them. They have been incredibly professional.
“I can see why they are champions because of the way they conduct themselves and go about their business. I have been very impressed.”
Manchester United are scheduled to kick-off their season against reigning FA Cup champion Wigan Athletic in the FA Community Shield at Wembley on Sunday, 11 August.
Gago returns to Boca
Argentine Primera División giants Boca Juniors have completed the signing of midfielder Fernando Gago from Valencia CF on a three-year deal, World News Australia understands.
Gago, formerly of Real Madrid, was loaned out to Argentine side Vélez Sarsfield after being deemed surplus to requirements earlier this season.
“It’s a nice feeling coming back to the club where I grew up as a person … and now I want to enjoy this stage at Boca,” said Gago.
“Boca always want to be [title] candidates, that’s the goal. We have the obligation to fight for the title.”
The 27-year-old midfielder made just 13 league appearances for Valencia last season, but remains a key figure for Argentina, having been selected for numerous 2014 World Cup qualifiers over the past two seasons.