Wigan Athletic F.C. manager Owen Coyle has revealed the Latics have yet to receive any offers for highly-rated midfielder James McCarthy, Sky Sports understands.
Former Latics boss Roberto Martinez, who has already signed three former Wigan players — Antolín Alcaraz, Arouna Koné and Joel Robles — this summer, is reportedly keen on bringing McCarthy to Goodison Park.
In turn, McCarthy, who joined Wigan from Hamilton Academical F.C. for a fee believed to be in the region of £1.2 million in July 2009, has been linked with a £15 million move to Everton in recent weeks (Liverpool Echo).
“I’ve not had any inquiries, let alone offers, for any of my players,” said Coyle.
“But ultimately good players attract attention and there’s no getting away from it, James McCarthy is such a hugely talented player.
“And if there is any interest, he’ll be the first to know. Then, as a club we decide what happens from there.”
The Republic of Ireland international, 22, helped Wigan rout Barnsley 4-0 at Oakwell on Saturday, the opening day of the 2013/14 Sky Bet Championship season.
Goals from Ben Watson (37′), debutantes Grant Holt (55′) and Leon Barnett (80′) and Shaun Maloney (88′) propelled Wigan to the top of the table after the first of 46 league matches.
McCarthy featured in all 38 English Premier League matches for the Latics last season, tallying three goals and two assists.
Newcastle close on Bent, Remy
Newcastle United director of football Joe Kinnear has revealed the club are on the verge of agreeing a deal for Queens Park Rangers striker Loïc Remy, according to Sky Sports.
Remy, 26, joined QPR from French giants Olympique de Marseille in a deal worth a record £8 million after turning down a move to St James’ Park during last season’s January transfer window.
The France international went on to score six goals in 14 league appearances for the Super Hoops, but ultimately could not rescue the club from Davy Jones’ Locker.
When asked if the club were close to agreeing a loan deal for Remy, Kinnear told Sky Sports News: “Yeah I think very much, so I would like to think we are very, very close to agreeing that.
“I would think maybe Monday or Tuesday we will be a position to say yea or nay, but I am very happy about how that deal is going at the moment.”
Kinnear also confirmed the Magpies are in talks with Aston Villa regarding the transfer of England intertnational striker Darren Bent.
Bent, who is surplus to requirements at Villa Park following the arrival of Nicklas Helenius from Aalborg BK, is also the subject of reported interest from Fulham.
“We were with Darren’s agent for two or three hours, we thrashed out a deal,” added Kinnear.
“We are still in negotiations with Aston Villa so there is a really strong possibility there.
“Again I hear the latest is that somebody else has all of a sudden shown interest in the player so we have competition from various clubs around the country, but I am not letting go.
“These are players that me and Alan [Pardew] have spoken about. These are players that we’ve all agreed at the club are the type of player we want to bring to Newcastle.”
Lastly, earlier this week, Olympique Lyonnais owner Jean-Michel Aulas confirmed the Ligue 1 side accepted an offer of €8 million, plus €2 million in add-ons, from Newcastle for Bafetimbi Gomis.
Surely the Magpies won’t sign all three players.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!