Sunday, August 20, 2017

Pardew waiting for Ameobi to deliver; Thauvin happy at Marseille

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has issued a warning to Sammy Ameobi that he is running out of opportunities to establish himself as a first-ream regular at St James' Park.

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has issued a warning to Sammy Ameobi that he is running out of opportunities to establish himself as a first-ream regular at St James’ Park.

Since breaking into the Magpies’ first-team in 2011, Ameobi, 22, has shown glimpses of brilliance in the short-term.

His long-term results, i.e. maintaining form, have been less impressive.

It was a story of “more of the same” from the former England Under-21 international against Hull City last weekend.

Ameobi replaced Cheick Tioté on 85 minutes, showed some promise going forward, but conceded a free-kick that could have resulted in a defeat for Newcastle.

“Sammy is a player who has unbelievable talent and we have been waiting and waiting for him to deliver something on the football pitch,” said Pardew.

“I warned him last week that I am running out of time with him and he is running out of chances.

“Against Hull, he came on and changes the game a little bit, running up the pitch and taking players on.

“That is what we want from him but then he concedes a free-kick and we could lose the game. These are the things you have to learn even in a pressure situation like Saturday.”

Breathing down Ameobi’s neck for a chance at regular football is England Under-20 international winger Rolando Aarons, who joined Newcastle after being released by hometown club Bristol City in 2012.

Aarons, 18, has not featured since stealing the show against Crystal Palace last month, but the 18-year-old, who looks a left-footed Raheem Sterling, will likely be back in the very near future, especially if the Magpies remain bottom of the English Premier League.

Thauvin happy at Marseille

Olympique de Marseille midfielder Florian Thauvin has insisted he is happy at the Stade Vélodrome despite confirming Internazionale were interested in him during the summer transfer window.

Thauvin left Lille for Marseille in controversial fashion in September 2013.

The France youth international spent just nine months at Lille, who bought him for €3.5 million in January 2013, before forcing through a move to Marseille, who paid Lille €15 million for his services.

“The president had contact with Inter, but I don’t know exactly what happened,” Thauvin told the club’s official website.

“Things were clear for the president and me: my departure was out of the question, so honestly I haven’t studied the offer.

“It’s flattering and Inter are a big club, but I am a Marseille player and they are a big club too. Here I feel really good.”

Thauvin has tallied two goals and one assist in six Ligue 1 appearances for L’OM this season.

 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Shawn Etemadi


SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top