Saturday, January 21, 2017

Prandelli welcomes back Criscito

SoccerNews in General Soccer News 8 Oct 2012

1 Views

Cesare Prandelli says it is the right time for Domenico Criscito to return to the Italy squad after the fullback was cleared of match-fixing.

Criscito was sensationally axed from Italy’s Euro 2012 squad after corruption police raided his room at the national team’s training camp and placed him under formal investigation as part of the Scommessopoli scandal.

The Zenit St Petersburg player has since been cleared of any wrong-doing from his time with Genoa, and national coach Prandelli has subsequently brought him back into the fold for this month’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Armenia and Denmark.

“It was both a technical and personal decision, which wasn’t difficult at all,” Prandelli said.

“When the Public Prosecutor’s office of Genoa dismissed the notice of investigation, it was the right time to cap Criscito again.

“We know how it all happened and it is useless to keep going over all the difficulties that we have, so it’s a pleasure for me to have him here.

“When he gets back on the pitch with his team-mates, we can forget what happened and the suffering there’s been.”

Italy travel to Armenia for their third World Cup qualifier of Group B on Tuesday, before hosting Denmark on October 16.

Prandelli also brought in Stephan El Shaarawy, Andrea Ranocchia and Marco Verratti, although there was no place for veteran forward Antonio Cassano.

“Right now, I’ve opted to continue on the path of renewal and count on young guys, but the national team isn’t closed for Cassano,” he said.

“It’s the same approach we had for (Antonio) Di Natale – he has kept on working hard and he has been there in crucial moments.”

Finally, Manchester City Mario Balotelli received the nod despite missing Italy’s most recent matches, a 2-2 draw in Bulgaria and a 2-0 win at home to Malta, after opting to undergo an eye operation last month.

“To tell you the truth, I’ve felt upset when Balotelli decided to have an operation in the two weeks when the national team had to play official matches,” he said.

“In any case I’ve capped him and am counting on his pride and his talent. We will see if he has the willingness to become a champion.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

ADD COMMENT

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshock???cooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsad!?ideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top