• Over 1000 in Free Bets
    Best Free Football Bets!
    Take advantage of these amazing promotions while it lasts. Now you can bet with the finest bookmakers and get the best deal on the net. [+]
  • Live Streaming Football
    Watch free live streaming football, horse racing, tennis, volleyball etc. as a customer of Bet365. Bet In-Play available while watching your favourite sports. [+]

Premier League predictions: Top six

The new Premier League season kicks-off this weekend and it’s sure to be an exciting one.

Last season’s campaign was enthralling until the last kick of the season, literally in Manchester City’s case.

In this article I will reveal who I think will finish in the top six of the Premier League this season.

1st: Manchester City

Manchester City enjoyed a superb season last time out and finished the season as champions, with a last gasp Sergio Aguero goal against QPR sealing the league title. I can see them being better than everybody else once again.

The Citizens may have only signed Everton’s Jack Rodwell this summer, but there is still time for City boss Roberto Mancini to splash the cash. I believe he will and strengthen his already strong squad. City’s owners have told Mancini to spend and he is likely to in the next few weeks before the transfer window shuts.

2nd: Manchester United

For much of the last day of last season United looked likely to retain their Premier League crown, until that Aguero effort took the trophy to the Etihad Stadium. United will be determined to challenge their bitter-rivals once again for the crown.

Unfortunately, the squad don’t look strong enough. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has brought in Japanese playmaker Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund, who should be a very useful creative force in midfield.

However, the United boss has failed to strengthen elsewhere, with just Crewe youngster Nick Powell arriving at Old Trafford this summer. United needed to reinforce in other areas and at the moment their squad doesn’t look good enough to win the Premier League title.

Should United manage to sign Arsenal’s wantaway skipper Robin Van Persie then they are more likely to challenge the Citizens for the title.

3rd: Chelsea

The European Champions have spent big this summer in order to get back amongst the top four of English football. The signings of Brazilian ace Oscar, in-demand Belgian Eden Hazard and highly-rated German Marko Marin are seen  as a signal of intent from Chelsea that they mean business this season.

Boss Roberto Di Matteo has now been installed on a full-time basis, but he will find it more difficult than last season with expectations sky high at the Bridge. Chelsea have significantly strengthened their midfield options, but their squad still seems short of options in other areas.

However, I can see them enjoying a good first full season under Di Matteo, with the likes of Hazard and Oscar having a big impact on the team. It’s also a big season for Spain striker Fernando Torres, who won the golden boot at Euro 2012. Should he recover his best form Chelsea could be a big threat to the Manchester clubs this season.

4th: Arsenal

Lots of the talk about Arsenal this summer has been about captain Robin Van Persie’s future. The annual Arsenal transfer saga has taken any some of the shine off Arsene Wenger’s signings.

Wenger has been very shrewd this summer and should his signing adapt quickly to English football they could have a very good season. The Arsenal boss has brought in Spanish midfielder Santi Cazorla, French striker Olivier Giroud and Germany’s Lukas Podolski.

All three players are internationals and highly-rated. It may take the trio time to get accustomed to the English top flight, but I believe they will all prove good signings in the long run.

Although Arsenal finished third last season I can’t see them finishing as high this season simply because they may lose Robin Van Persie before the transfer window shuts.

5th: Tottenham

Tottenham did really well to finish 4th last season and were unlucky to miss out on the Champions League spot, courtesy of Chelsea’s Champions League triumph. It seems to be all change at Spurs with veteran boss Harry Redknapp being replace by former-Chelsea chief Andre Villas-Boas.

It’s hard to judge the appointment of the rookie boss. The appointment could be a triumph or a disaster for Tottenham this season. Villas-Boas was highly-rated before he joined Chelsea, but he endured a nightmare time at Stamford Bridge.

Tottenham have made two impressive signings so far this summer in the shape of Jan Vertonghen and Gylfi Sigurdsson. Both players will make the Tottenham squad stronger. One cloud hanging over White Hart Lane is the uncertainly over the future of Croatian midfielder Luka Modric.

He has stated he wants a move and is currently not training with the first team. Much of Tottenham’s fortunes will be decided by what happens between now and the transfer window shutting.

6th: Liverpool

Like Tottenham Liverpool also have a new man in the bosses chair. The Reds boss Brendan Rodgers is highly-rated, after he led Swansea to promotion and Welsh side impressed with their style of play last season.

Rodgers has a big job on his hands reviving Liverpool’s fortunes. The club vastly overspent last summer on some overpriced players and its left the Irishman with very little to work with.

He has however managed to sign promising young midfielder Joe Allen from his old club and brought in young Italian striker Fabio Borini from Roma. Rodgers will need time implement his style of football at the club and it will be a transitional year for the Reds. I do believe they have to do better than last season though.

Others

The only others who have any realistic chance of making it into the top six of the Premier League are Newcastle and Everton. It really was a toss-up between Liverpool and Newcastle for sixth place for me.

Newcastle have just enjoyed a fantastic campaign, but it will be hard for them to repeat and I don’t think they have enough strength in-depth. The Magpies also haven’t yet managed to strengthen their squad this summer.

Everton are the Premier League’s perennial slow starters. Every season they struggle until Christmas and resurrect their season in fine style. If the Toffee’s get a good start to the season they could be a realistic threat to the top six.

Predictable

I’m sorry my predictions are a little predictable, but it’s difficult to see much movement in the Premier League’s top eight. It would be fantastic if somebody else could be challenging for the top six. Unfortunately, I just can’t see that happening this season.

Who will finish in the top six of the Premier League this season?

Mon 13 August, 2012
RSS Feed
Buy Soccer Tickets Largest selection of premium soccer tickets for the Premier League, MLS, La Liga, Serie A, European Cups, World Cup etc. Click Here

50 Comments:

1. SamEdwards says:

NEWCASTLE UNITED

2. Phil says:

All of the talk about the United squad not being strong enough is exactly the same as last year, and they only lost the title on goal difference without their captain and best defender and all kinds of injury problems. All of the young players are a year older and improving. City have the advantage in the title race because of their spending power, but I just because united haven’t spent $100 million on signings doesn’t mean their team is vastly inferior. If everyone stays healthy, I think its a toss-up between them and City.

3. Ocsarinho El Yannicko says:

Asenal number 1 QPR number 2 manchester city number 3

4. Tim says:

This is my predicted premier league table next season

1st Man City
    17th Southampton
    18th Wigan
    19th Swansea
    20th Reading

5. Ld Hayes says:

To all u non believers.
    Everyone new United fielded the worst team In a number of years. But this of season with De Gea hitting straps Jones showing great form and potential, Kagawa and the possibility of a Rooney -RVP, front two, united have the best chance. Now all we need is a world class Right Back.
    Arsenal have a decent chance if the polish goalie (who’s name is to hard to spell) steps up, their D let them down last year.
    City will be AWESOME. But they need to get new centre backs. Kolo is crap, Kompany is unreal, lescott is overrated and Savic is too young and inexperienced to be in the starting 11 and win a title.

6. Pristina says:

Newcastle United above Tottenham and Liverpool

7. kedar says:

1)man city
    2)chelsea
    3)liverpool
    4)tottenham
    5)arsenal
    6)manchester united
    7)newcastle
    8)QPR

8. Golden says:

Top 4. Man city. Chelsea. Liverpool. Man u.

9. Don says:

15) Norwich.
    16) Swansea.
    17) Wigan.
    18) ——
    19) ——
    20) ——
    As i can’t break hearts of any club and their fans to say that this or that will get relegated. It feels harsh to say so… that doesn’t mean the 3 teams i’ve not named will be in 18-19-20th slots butthere could be tuff campaign between teams from 15-16-17th slot, ‘it shall happen and so it shall be seen’.

10. Ray says:

16) Swansea.
    17) Wigan.
    18) ——
    19) ——
    20) ——

12. Vickybarca says:

Dis my verdict not even Prediction…
    ARSENAL
    READING
    WEST BROM
    SOUTHAMPTON
    SWANSEA
    NORWICH CITY….if want 2 challenge me call dis number +2348038298810

13. Don says:

I totally agree with LD Hayes..and i was also some how convinced with the Ray’s opinion about liverpool ranking compared to New Castle.

14. Parker says:

7 Liverpool
    8 QPR
    9 Everton
    10 Fulham

17. Arsenal will win the EPL this season

18. Brad says:

1.) Man United (never, ever rule the Devils out)
    2.) Man City (this will be another close one between these two)
    3.)Chelsea (UCL win will help their confidence this year)
    4.) Arsenal (if they keep RvP, they swap places with Chelsea)
    5.) Spurs (hardly catch a break with the top 4 do they?)
    6.) Newcastle/Liverpool (can’t decide)

It is fairly possible (that might be an understatement) that City will repeat. If so it’ll be only because of that money they got. While it is their right to use it as they wish, the Citizens can never really be considered in the same class as their neighbors, let alone Barca (cause I know some City “fan” is gonna say they are the best in the world). Those two teams spent money and brought up kids from the academy.

And notice how they dominate their leagues.

19. Don says:

Brady u r nutts as alwayz !! u’ve rotten brainz, u deserve to b gt kicked hard, u numb & dumb crap! sick enough to get shot…… ladies and gentlemen let me introduce the worlds biggest crank and it none other than brad- brad- braddy….

20. Brad says:

?

Since when did you become a City fan, Don? And why do you still have the temerity to call me such nonsense (who the heck calls people and adds a ‘y’ to their name) when your attitude and intelligence levels show it is YOU who is nuts and sick?

I’m surprised you didn’t agree with me when I included your team, Barca, and put them in a good light for a change. Is that just how immature you are?

21. Don says:

I knew it would pinch you…..i m sorry my dear friend that’s what i wanted you to realize. Never speak lies and stop pulling CR7′s pants and comparing him with messi or Real with Barca. I know United are incomparable but still you’ve had to admit that City play fair enough than what Real do against Barca. At least they don’t cheat in their derby games as we see during El-Classico, or never get favored or suffer injustice made by referees the other way due to their money power. But now a days media and authors and some prejudicial fans do support and publicize CR7, Mourinho & Real as being jelous or i can’t say even get paid from sm1. Once again Brad if u r hurt…, ‘ i m sorry for my such non-senses’. And any ways i in fact gentlemen, i love my dear friend Brad for certain reasons as he is admirer of class football. I HOLD MY EARS AND I SAY SORRY BRAD…’Y’. Again Don says no body is concerned with our discussions and if Brad still u feel humiliated than let them all hear ‘LADIES & GENTLEMEN MY APOLOGIES’….

22. Brad says:

While I try not to blush at the fact you recognize my love of classy football, I still wonder where you learned the definition of class; it is so obvious you don’t have any, otherwise you’d be sensible and considerate like Oybek, Cloud, and I.

Stop humiliating yourself.

23. Brad says:

Also, good news from the transfer front: RvP HAS indeed signed for United.

Good chance United will take the title back. . . and there won’t be any cheating involved when you’ve got one of the world’s most explosive strikers next to Wayne Rooney up top.

24. Newcastle to make Europe ahead of many moneys spinners in the League, look at last year Id love to put money spenders against place in the league the toon would have finished all over everyone in terms of value.

Don your an idiot cant even spell New Castle ??? dickhead. Oh and Sunderland for relagation !!!!

25. james antoniou says:

16.Norwich
    17.Southam
    18.Wigan
    19.Swans.
    20.Reading

28. Don says:

Congrats Brad!! I m sure you’d b happy enough to have RVP along with Rooney, undoubtedly this duo is the best in today’s BPL competitions, and i hope and pray they help united win the title this season. Hey i indeed have a lot of respect & love for you. Again i apologize for lots of bad thing between us which i do agree, but pal still i urge you to speak out reasonably for world class legends like Messi and magnificent 11(Barca) on for various occasions. Some times i feel that you go beyond the lines while not accepting the truth and just not admitting it. But i today even feel that you and i are the fans of two greatest clubs of today’s era. That’s what make us similar and admirers of class. I never pretend, and i openly say SORRY and please forgive me for any misbehaves. I can’t see you, but can feel you so please try to do the same. Have a nice time and best of lucks for you and your club. Thank you.

29. Don says:

Hi toon Marrow, i don’t want any unnecessary word conflict with any body and i hope you are happy enough to define me as u wished and liked and you don’t need to be sorry for that, i might have made an error while spelling it and i assure you it wouldn’t happen again. Newcastle are a great side and i loved to see players like Carroll and previously Owen playing for them. I m still an admirer of this great club and i request you not to take any thing so personal when we all keep our opinions or predictions for certain reasons….

30. Brad says:

Hang on, can’t really think straight because I’ve got this big headache. I’ve been smacking the mess out of my forehead reading Don’s latest posts. . .

Thanks and thanks again for the respect, but I’ve noted that Messi is world class, and showed admiration for his club team, but I still notice his shortcomings. I’ve got dreams of becoming a coach/manager/whatever you wanna call it, so really its second nature to point out- and harp on about- any weaknesses. In Messi’s case, its not being anywhere near, let alone level with, or past, Pele as the world’s best ever, and his under performances for Argentina.

31. hey don.I bet ur hot.ne way Manchester united would be a great attakking force.But berbtaov and owen are about to leave and Hernanez is linked to chelsea so dat justleaves welbeck and kagawa.not as strongas man city who have tevez,aguero,dzko,super mario,They should probbaly get llorente

32. Brad says:

Owen has already left.

33. Russ ru says:

i say united or city to take the title. Chelsea needs a season to gel but mark my words… Southampton will be in the top 6! Was impressed with how they went toe to toe with champions man city! Lesser teams will find the newly promoted side hard to beat if they play with that intensity.

34. Brad says:

It’ll be hard for them to play like that all season long. Injuries are eventually become a problem at that pace.
    Still, I wouldn’t be surprised at a Top 6 finish, myself.

35. real_deal says:

The EPL is back and it is back with a bang indeed. Who could have predicted that City would struggle to beat a newly promoted side like S’ton and that United would again fail at Goodison Park.

This league is just pure madness. Nevertheless , I still believe United will prevail and win the league albeit by a small margin. I expect big performances from Kagawa, Hernandez, Vidic and Valencia.

All the hype about Rooney-RvP link up is , in my opinion, a bit premature. i think they will only gel after about 15 games or so.

36. Brad says:

Dont really like 2 see RVP in a manchester utd shirt.

37. Brad says:

^lol, may be off topic what I’m about to say, but for a second I thought “I didn’t put that comment.”

another Brad is here. . .

38. Topblade says:

think it is fair to say there will be a few suprises this season. I don’t personally think Manchester City will retain there title this season.

1. Chelsea

Spurs
    Newcastle
    Everton
    Fulham
    Swansea

42. George says:

Support man city you scumbags

43. Brad says:

^an example of a Man City “fan” who hasn’t been this happy (as in winning the EPL title) since he was a Chelsea fan when the Blues won the title a few years back.

44. sid07 says:

no it will be MANU at the top for sure
    my pridiction

1 MAN U
    2 MAN CITY
    3 CHELSEA
    4 ARSENAL
    I THINK ARSENAL COULD HAVE IF THEY DID NOT LET RVP
    BUT PODOLSKI,GIROUD,CAZOROLA ARE GREAT
    get ready for action packed epl
    ENJOY ENJOY

47. Yup says:

1. Man U
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Tottenham
    5. Chelsea
    6. Newcastle

Easily the top six. I want to say that Man City won’t come in second, but #3-6 are such unpredictable teams, that I can’t say who would be number 2 above City. Chelsea always find a way to knock themselves out of the top 4 and liverpool will probably find a way to knock themselves out of the top 6. Tottenham have Dempsey and Dembele now. Arsenal have actually done a good job rebuilding their squad. Tottenham or Arsenal could come from no where and snatch the title with a great run of form. Newcastle is a good team, but I don’t see them in the top 4, though they could oust a team for 5th. Man U are way too balanced a team to bet against them coming in 1st or 2nd. And I am not a United fan.

48. Lalhaokip says:

1. Qpr
    2. Ars
    3. Che
    4. City

49. Mr.Green says:

Last season no body gave Chelsea any chance to lift the UCL and now the same parttern is in the making and i well like this, Cheleas will surprise many.
    1. chelsea