Monday, July 24, 2017

Prince Ali warns against delaying FIFA elections

SoccerNews in General Soccer News 14 Oct 2015

4 Views

FIFA presidential candidate Prince Ali bin al-Hussein says elections to appoint a permanent successor to Sepp Blatter should be not be delayed.

Prince Ali was beaten by Blatter in June’s election but, having won a fifth term as president, the Swiss announced he would lay down his mandate in the midst of a corruption scandal that has engulfed the organisation.

Last week Blatter was handed a 90-day suspension by FIFA over allegations he signed an “unfavourable” contract with the Caribbean Football Union in 2005 that market experts claim handed over World Cup television rights for a fraction of their market value.

He is also accused of making a “disloyal payment” in 2011 to UEFA president Platini – the Frenchman having also been banned, with his presidential bid appearing all but over. Both men have since appealed the decisions.

FIFA’s Executive Committee is to hold an extraordinary meeting next week where the possibility of delaying the elections could be discussed.

However, in a statement, Jordan Football Association president Prince Ali said: “Recent events at FIFA have shown us that no one is above the law. The Ethics Committee must now be allowed to do its work in a robust and timely fashion.

“With FIFA’s crisis deepening, the organisation needs to move beyond interim leadership and elect an accountable president.

“Delaying the scheduled election would only postpone needed change and create further instability. It would tell the world that lessons haven’t been learned, that the same backroom deals that have discredited FIFA in the first place continue.

“Members of the FIFA Executive Committee should remember that Football Associations, players, coaches and fans the world over are watching.

“The EXCO should not interfere with an ongoing process that was put in place by the ad hoc electoral committee. The election date of February 26 was set three months ago with a clear procedure that meets all of FIFA’s statutory requirements.

“Candidates have had plenty of time to declare and still do. The rules should not be changed after the game has started.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshock???cooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsad!?ideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top