Harry Redknapp has laughed off rumours that he has been offered a new contract to remain as Tottenham manager.
The 65-year-old has long been the firm favourite to land the England job following Fabio Capello’s resignation in early February, prompting Spurs to write to all Premier League managers asking them not to endorse Redknapp.
Several leading bosses have already gone public with their support of Redknapp including Kenny Dalglish, Alan Pardew and Roy Hodgson, as well as Manchester United stars Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand.
Last month Sir Alex Ferguson said: “There is no doubt Harry Redknapp is the best man. He has the experience and personality and the knowledge of the game. He has changed the fortunes of every club he has been at.”
And Ferguson has now revealed he had ‘no idea’ why he has been given the request for silence, before joking: “So I’m out of the running.”
“The Premier League has written to me asking me not to talk about the England manager’s job. I don’t know why,” the Manchester United boss said after his team’s loss to Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League on Thursday night.
Redknapp on Friday denied any knowledge of a letter to the managers while also refuting claims that a new offer to stay at White Hart Lane was on the table.
“I haven’t received a letter, no. I haven’t looked. Maybe there is one. I don’t know whether there is a letter that has gone around to clubs. I don’t know,” he said.
He added: “I speak to (chairman) Daniel (Levy) every day and he wants me to stay at the club.”
“But at the moment he hasn’t made me an offer of a contract and I haven’t pushed him to either.”
Redknapp has seen his side lose their last two Premier League games but says he is ‘flattered’ to be considered for the role and that it is the ‘ultimate job for an Englishman’.
Tottenham travel to Everton on Saturday although Aaron Lennon and Michael Dawson will miss the Premier League tie after picking up injuries in Spurs’ 3-1 win over Stevenage in their fifth-round FA Cup replay on Wednesday.