Harry Redknapp has emphatically quashed speculation that he has resigned as manager of Tottenham.
The 65-year-old – who has been in charge of the North London club since October 2008 – has just one year remaining on his contract.
Rumours that Redknapp was set to walk out spread rapidly on the internet on Tuesday night, forcing the Spurs boss to deny the speculation.
“No, I haven’t resigned, and I have no idea why it is being suggested that I have resigned,” Redknapp told ESPN.
“This is an outrage; an absolute liberty for people to be putting around this kind of rumour on the internet.
“It is not true, there is not a chance I will resign. Why should I? I have a year left on my contract.”
Redknapp is believed to have narrowly missed out on the England job, with Roy Hodgson preferred to him after Fabio Capello left the post in February.
Earlier in the week, the former Portsmouth and Southampton manager said the uncertainty surrounding his future at White Hart Lane was not helpful to the club.
“I’ve got a year left on my contract,” Redknapp told Sky Sports News.
“It’s up to Tottenham whether they want to extend that contract or not. If they don’t extend it and I go into my last year … it’s not an easy one when players know you’ve only got a year left.
“It’s not a case of me looking for security. What it’s about is players knowing you have only got year left on your contract and knowing that it doesn’t work, basically. I think it’s a situation of, ‘Well, he might not be here next year’.
“You don’t let players run into the last year of their contract if you think they’re any good, and you don’t let managers run into the last year of their contract if you think they’re any good.
“It’s up to Tottenham. If they think I’m okay and I’ve done a decent job and deserve an extension, they’ll give it to me.”
In his time at Tottenham, Redknapp has guided the club to a Carling Cup final success in 2008 and the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League in 2011.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!