Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina would be more than happy to replace compatriot Victor Valdes at FC Barcelona, according to former Barca shot-stopper Miguel Reina, the father of Pepe Reina.
Miguel Reina, who represented Barcelona from 1966-1973, is currently a goalkeeping coach at the club.
The link between player-and-son and Barcelona — combined with recent reports that Victor Valdes will leave the club when his current contract expires in June 2014, according to Valdes’ agent Gines Carvajal — has fueled speculation regarding the eventual replacement of Valdes at the Camp Nou.
Miguel Reina believes that his son would welcome a move back to his boyhood club.
Reina, 30, spent 14 years at FC Barcelona, 1988-2002, making his senior debut during the 2000-01 season.
“I am absolutely convinced that Pepe would be delighted to return to Barcelona,” Miguel told Spanish radio station La Xarxa.
“I would love to see him back. What father would not like to see his son play for Barca? I did it, but it would be extraordinary again, if it happened.”
“Pepe has shown the measure of the goalkeeper he is and I believe he would be up to the task. Even more, he would be the ideal goalkeeper for Barcelona, without any doubt.”
Reina, a graduate of Barcelona’s infamous La Masia youth system, has started 18 English Premier League matches for the Reds this season, keeping seven clean sheets.
Concurrently, Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois — who is currently on-loan at Atletico Madrid — is being linked with a move to the Spanish giants.
Courtois, 20, has exceded 50 appearances for Atletico, having kept his tenth consecutive clean sheet at the Estadio Vicente Calderon against Levante on Sunday.
The Belgium international has started 19 of 20 league games for Atletico this season, with 10 clean sheets to his name.
Furthermore, Barcelona are also reportedly interested in 22-year-old Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, with Real Madrid also linked with the player in recent weeks.
Cardiff sign Fraizer Campbell
English Championship leaders Cardiff City have completed the signing of former Manchester United striker Fraizer Campbell from Sunderland on a three-and-a-half-year deal, Sky Sports understands.
Campbell, 25, has been relegated to the bench for the majority of the season following the arrival of Steven Fletcher from Wolverhampton Wanderers for a fee believed to be in the region of £12-14 million, despite having made his England debut against Holland at Wembley Stadium on 29 February 2012.
The 25-year-old had previously been linked with a move to Hull City.
“He got a cap for England last year so we’re getting someone of real quality,” Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay told Sky Sports News.
“We’ve had a chat and he definitely wants to do well and play regular football now.
“He’s got aspirations in terms of playing at the top level again and adding to that England cap. He wants to come and do well and play consistently.”
At the moment, Cardiff are 10 points clear of both Hull City and Leicester City in the English League Championship table, which surely means that they are destined to return to England’s top flight next season.
The arrival of Campbell, who bagged 14 goals and seven assists while on-loan at Hull City in the Championship in 2007-08, gives Mackay another viable attacking option heading into the latter stages of the season.