Southampton F.C. boss Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed the club’s interest in signing Ever Banega, Leandro Damiao and Victor Wanyama this summer, Sky Sports understands.
The Saints, who have already completed the signing of highly-rated defender Dejan Lovren from French giants Olympique Lyonnais for a fee £8.5 million, are looking to add a number of quality players ahead of the 2013/14 English Premier League campaign.
The Hampshire-based club are targeting the top-half of the Premier League next term after settling in 14th-place, and staving off relegation in their first season back in the top-flight, last season.
“We manage a lot of information about very good players,” revealed Pochettino. “One of them is Damiao, also Banega and also Wanyama.
“We are managing the situation as well as we can at the moment.
“The main thing is that we as a club, Southampton, are managing when these negotiations happen so that is what is happening.
“We are managing when these players are going to be signed and how we sign them.
“Our goals are very clear. I am also not trapped by the fact that I said I wanted to have our transfer window closed by July 1.”
Pochettino added that the Saints are not interested in “15 or 20” players, with the club’s transfer shortlist consisting of just two or three important players, including the aforementioned Argentina international midfielder Ever Banega.
Banega, 25, bagged four goals and four assists in 29 league appearances for Valencia CF last season.
The 25-year-old Argentine, who was voted Man of the Match on two occasions for the Valencianistas last term, had a pass success percentage of 82.7 in 2012/13.
Norwich City sign Nathan Redmond
Norwich City F.C. have completed the signing of England Under-21 international winger Nathan Redmond from cash-strapped Birmingham City on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee, according to Sky Sports.
Redmond, 19, is the second important player to leave the Blues in the past seven days after defender Curtis Davies joined Premier League newcomers Hull City in a £2.25 million last week.
The 19-year-old winger, who will be reunited with manager Chris Hughton at Carrow Road, is delighted with the move.
“I’m very happy. It looks like a fantastic club, I’m just looking forward to getting started now,” Redmond told the Canaries’ official website, www.canaries.co.uk.
“I know that there is only one football club in this city and it has an excellent fan base.
“[Chris Hughton] was very influential on my career at Birmingham. He gave me the chance to play and the chance to express myself every time that I stepped on to the field and I feel like on the bigger stage he will do exactly the same thing.
“I would probably say I have played some of my best football under him so far. Last season was a good one for me in terms of goals and assists and just general performances.
“Hopefully I can continue the form that I left off with last season at Birmingham.”
Redmond tallied two goals and five assists in 38 league appearances, including 22 starts, for the Blues last term.
In other news, The Sun has reported that Norwich have rejected a £5 million bid from Chelsea for goalkeeper John Ruddy.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!