Sydney FC have terminated midfielder Jason
Culina’s contract after his training ground disagreement with coach Frank Farina last week.
The 32-year-old was reportedly told he would not start for the Sky Blues against Brisbane Roar on Sunday, and then refused to train with the National Youth League team after exchanging words with Farina.
After a ‘series of phone calls’ on Monday between Sydney CEO Tony Pignata and Culina and his management, the former Socceroo’s contract was terminated.
“Sydney FC has this afternoon agreed to mutually terminate the contract of Jason Culina,” Pignata said in a statement.
“We would like to wish Jason the best of luck with the rest of his football career.”
Culina signed a two-year deal with the Sky Blues in October last year after being sidelined for almost two years with a chronic knee injury.
He scored two goals in eight appearances for Sydney, adding much-needed quality to their midfield.
Culina said his departure from the club was ‘unfortunate’ but insists he wants to continue his career elsewhere.
“I would like to thank Sydney FC for assisting me with my rehabilitation and my return to football,” he said.
“I would like to thank the board, management, coaching staff, players and especially physiotherapist Stan Ivancic.
“The circumstances surrounding my departure are unfortunate but I feel fit and strong and I am determined to continue my playing career in the future.”
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!