England coach Roy Hodgson insists that John Terry and Rio Ferdinand will stay in his plans as long as they avoid lengthy bans from the FA.
After being found not guilty of racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, Rio’s brother, in a criminal court, Terry now faces investigation by the national association.
Ferdinand, meanwhile, has been charged with improper conduct after promoting a Twitter message that carried racist undertones.
“John Terry has been through a charge in a court, now he has to go through the process the FA have embarked upon,” Hodgson told Sky Sports News.
“The same applies to Rio. As far as I am concerned, it is a disciplinary matter, which the FA will take care of.
“As long as they don’t suffer enormous bans that will keep them out of my thinking there is no reason for me to believe I can’t consider them in the future. And obviously I will.”
Hodgson, who has named a youthful squad for Wednesday’s friendly with Italy, also explained his decision to recall Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick.
Carrick had been left out of the country’s Euro 2012 squad and told the former West Brom manager he did not want to be on the reserves list for the tournament.
Less experienced players such as Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson were included in the squad but Hodgson has dismissed the criticism that Carrick could have been persuaded to play a part.
“Michael Carrick would have always been in our thinking,” Hodgson added.
“I was given to believe he didn’t want to be part of the England set-up. He didn’t want to be considered for the Euros so I reluctantly thought if people are not available they are not available.
“He has had discussions with Gary and me since and it turns out that he does want to play. This is an ideal opportunity to invite him to come and play for England again.
“There has never been any doubt that Carrick has not been in our thoughts or our wishes. It was more a case of believing he wasn’t available for England and it was a final decision.”