Monday, March 27, 2017

Traore: Barcelona did not give me a chance

SoccerNews in La Liga 28 Dec 2016

122 Views

Adama Traore has hit out at Barcelona after claiming he was not given a chance to succeed at Camp Nou.

The 20-year-old, now at Premier League side Middlesbrough, joined Barca at the age of eight and worked his way through the youth ranks to the fringes of the first team.

He made four appearances for the senior side but failed to hold down a regular place in the squad before being sold to Aston Villa in 2015.

He spent just one season at Villa Park, with the club suffering relegation, before joining Aitor Karanka’s Boro.

Traore looks back fondly on his time in Catalonia but remains frustrated at the manner of his departure. Asked what he lacked to make it at the Spanish champions, he told Mundo Deportivo: “I left because I was not given an opportunity. If I had it I could say what I lacked. Nor did they tell me why.

“They made me stay at Barca B, where I had been for two years, and my mentality was to keep growing. I just asked them to let me show if I had the right level to be there or not.

“No one spoke to me. I would have liked someone to have given me an explanation.”

Traore has shown signs of promise at the Riverside Stadium – his speed and dribbling ability have caught the eye – but, again, has failed to establish himself as a first-team regular, perhaps validating Barca’s decision to let him go.

“I respect and understand Barcelona,” he added. “Everyone makes their decisions – they had the best three strikers in the world so I had to look for alternatives. But that is the past. Now I’m focused on my work to be one of the best.

“My mentality now is to become a top player and for that I work every day.”

Barcelona’s first refusal on the player has now expired.

Traore said: “Over time, we’ll see if Barca made the right decision, but I’m not upset.

“Barca gave me everything and I will always be thankful for everything I learned and that they taught me.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshock???cooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsad!?ideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
wpDiscuz
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

  • Football_888sport betting
Become a Writer
More More
Top