Jack Warner threatened to implicate FIFA in involvement in the Trinidad and Tobago elections in 2010.
The former FIFA vice-president was one of 14 people indicted by the United States Department of Justice last week in a move that preceded Friday’s FIFA elections in Zurich – which later proved futile, when re-elected Sepp Blatter revealed his decision to quit four days later.
Warner, in an address televised on TV6 on Wednesday night, said he has evidence of “a link between FIFA, its funding and me, the link between FIFA, its funding and the United National Congress and The People’s Partnership Government in general election 2010”.
The 72-year-old also indicated his documents directly implicate Blatter.
“It also deals with my knowledge of international transactions at FIFA, including its president Mr Sepp Blatter and, lastly, other matters involving the nation’s current prime minister,” he continued.
Warner claimed he protected FIFA from his allegations, but now that he is implicated in corrupt activity, he is turning on his former employer.
“I have, in these circumstances, decided that I will no longer keep secrets for them who now seek to actively destroy this country in which I live,” he said.
“I have decided that I will no longer keep secrets for those persons who now seek to actively destroy this country’s hard-won international image, this country’s fate.
“I have no intention of allowing them to deprive me of my freedom.
“I reasonably and surely fear for my life.
“I have, as promised compiled a comprehensive and detailed series of documents, including cheques and corroborated statements, and placed them in different and respected hands.
“I have, in effect, placed the outcome of those matters beyond even my own reach. Retracting them is now an impossibility. There can be no turning back.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!