Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan believes it is unlikely Tottenham Hostpur will approach Roberto Martinez to replace Harry Redknapp.
Redknapp was sacked by Spurs on Wednesday after four years in charge, prompting speculation linking Everton’s David Moyes and Wigan manager Martinez with the vacancy at White Hart Lane.
Martinez had been among the favourites to take over at Liverpool before the Anfield club opted to prise Brendan Rodgers from Swansea City.
Whelan said no formal contact had been made from Spurs and said he trusts Martinez to alert him if he receives an unofficial approach.
“I have not been approached, and Roberto has not been approached,” Whelan told ESPN.
“He is so honest that he would tell me the minute that he has.
“I think it’s pie in the sky that Spurs want Roberto. It seems that way as they have made no approach.
“That’s not to say that they won’t, but I hope that Spurs go for David Moyes and leave us alone!”
Martinez turned down an approach from Aston Villa at the end of the 2010/11 season to remain with Wigan.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!