Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Edinson Cavani is “ready to go” for Tuesday’s Premier League clash with Burnley following his recent ban, but Paul Pogba is a doubt.
Cavani was suspended for three matches and fined £100,000 by the Football Association for posting a message in response to an Instagram story after he scored twice in United’s 3-2 comeback win at Southampton on November 29.
The post from Cavani featured a Spanish word often used as a term of endearment in Latin America, with Cavani later apologising and deleting when he is said to have become aware the word could be construed as having racist connotations in English.
The former Paris Saint-Germain striker had been in good form before the ban, scoring three goals and creating two more for his team-mates from just two starts in the Premier League. Indeed, the Uruguay international has been involved in a goal every 59.4 minutes in the top flight this season.
United make the short trip to Burnley as the only side still unbeaten away from home in the Premier League this season, winning six of their seven games so far.
Another victory over Sean Dyche’s Clarets will see United move three points clear of Liverpool – whom the Red Devils face on Sunday – at the league summit and Solskjaer has no doubts Cavani will be in a position to contribute.
“Edinson has trained well when he’s been banned,” the United boss told a media conference. “He’s had a couple days off as well, you can’t train too much. He is ready to go.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) January 11, 2021
“He gives us a different option, he’s a different type of forward to the others, so I’m glad to have him back, that’s why we brought him in.
“He’s contributed really well so far. I’m sure he’ll be really important for us until the end of the season. We feel the season starts tomorrow night.”
Pogba, meanwhile, was absent from United’s squad for the 1-0 FA Cup win over Watford on Saturday and Solskjaer confirmed a decision on his involvement at Turf Moor will not be made until Tuesday.
“All of them trained today,” he added. “Paul and Eric [Bailly, who went off injured against Watford with a neck issue] didn’t do all of it but Luke [Shaw] and Victor [Lindelof] did, so I’ve got a decent amount of players to pick from. Let’s see with Paul and Eric how they are tomorrow.”
While Solskjaer confirmed several fringe players may leave Old Trafford during the January transfer window, he suggested the club would only dip into the market themselves if a “long-term target” becomes available.
“January is always difficult but if something comes up about a long-term target, that’s another scenario,” he said.
“Not many teams want to lose their players in January, so it’s unlikely something will happen on the ‘in’ side.
“There might be a few players going out. For one thing, they deserve to play more football for their own good and their own careers.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!