The NCAA has denied claims it shut down a coronavirus fundraiser belonging to Clemson star quarterback Trevor Lawrence and his girlfriend.
Lawrence, widely expected to be the first overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, set up a GoFundMe page with his partner Marissa Mowry to raise money for those affected by the spread of coronavirus.
However, Mowry said in a video on her Instagram page that she and Lawrence had been forced to take down the fundraiser. A report by The State claimed Clemson had asked for the page to be removed to comply with NCAA rules.
“Unfortunately Trevor cannot be a part of this anymore due to compliance and some rules, so he can’t help out anymore,” Mowry explained in the video. “And als
o we have to take down the GoFundMe page.”
However, in a statement on Twitter, the NCAA said Lawrence and Mowry could continue their fundraising efforts.
— Inside the NCAA (@InsidetheNCAA) March 24, 2020
“The NCAA did not ask Clemson student-athlete Trevor Lawrence to take down his fundraiser for COVID-19 patients and their families,” it read.
“We continue to work with member schools so they have the flexibility to ensure that student-athletes and communities impacted by this illness are supported, and we applaud Trevor for his efforts.”
The United States has over 53,200 confirmed cases of coronavirus with at least 689 deaths.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!