Inter great Walter Zenga believes the European Super League will go ahead despite strong opposition and criticism as the former Italy goalkeeper had his say on the “big mess”.
The ‘big six’ from the Premier League – Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham – have collaborated with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Inter, Juventus and Milan to reveal plans for a new midweek club competition to rival UEFA’s Champions League.
Those founding members would automatically qualify each season no matter where they finished in their respective domestic leagues.
UEFA and the European Club Association (ECA) have condemned the new competition, while FIFA has also disapproved of the move as fans and pundits continue to slam the breakaway league.
Regarded as one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, Zenga – who amassed 473 appearances for Inter, winning two UEFA Cup titles, the Serie A trophy and Supercoppa Italiana during his time at San Siro – said he is not a fan of the Super League.
“It’s a big mess,” the 60-year-old – who emerged from Inter’s youth team in 1978 before leaving the club permanently in 1994 – told Stats Perform News.
“I think that I read one interview about [former Manchester United manager Alex] Ferguson that he said that he came from one passion football like when he was young, child play on the street and run over the dreams and everything and now probably the Super League can destroy the oldest small club like he mentioned that he won the Europa league with Aberdeen a small club.
“I don’t think it’s going to be okay for football, it looks like it has become a private club.”
— Inter (@Inter) April 18, 2021
“I think that every club they have own problems now because of the covid situation,” said Zenga, who was last head coach of Serie A side Cagliari in August last year. “We can just say our point of view that’s just opinion it’s not the truth no? We don’t know what are the big problems inside some clubs, we don’t know why they want to create a Super League probably to save the money or something like this.
“I think the only thing in this situation was thinking about the commercial and how to make more money and everything. Then honestly if you ask me do I like the Super League I say no. If you ask me about why one club takes a decision to approach these things I say I don’t know because I’m not involved inside a club, I don’t know the problems this is very difficult to understand.”
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin branded the planned Super League as a “disgraceful, self-serving proposal” fuelled by greed, as well as confirming players from the 12 breakaway clubs involved will be banned from international football.
Madrid president and European Super League chairman Florentino Perez insisted the primary aim of the competition is to “save football”.
Only 6 other players have made more appearances for Inter than Walter Zenga.
— Sacha Pisani (@Sachk0) April 20, 2021
When asked if there was any turning back following Sunday’s initial announcement, Zenga – named the IFFHS World’s Best Goalkeeper for three consecutive years in 1989, 1990 and 1991 – replied: “I think that now after UEFA send a letter to everybody I think it is very difficult because it is [not just] one big problem to solve.
“I don’t think so I think the clubs go for themself. I don’t think so after this, I think the Super League continues.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!