Thursday, December 8, 2022

FIFA condemns ´barbaric´ mass brawl at Queretaro-Atlas clash in Mexico´s Liga MX

SoccerNews in General Soccer News 6 Mar 2022

147 Views

FIFA has called for “swift justice” after Mexican football was shamed by a mass brawl between supporters in the Liga MX game between Queretaro and Atlas.

The world governing body said the violence was “barbaric” and “tragic”, with 26 supporters reported to have been hospitalised after Saturday’s top-flight fixture.

Violence broke out just beyond the hour mark at Estadio Corregidora, with visitors Atlas leading 1-0, forcing fans to stream onto the pitch to escape the trouble.

Any hope of restarting the match was extinguished as fighting spread around the upper bowl of the stadium.

Mexican newspaper El Universal reported three supporters were in a serious condition in hospital on Sunday, with a further three having been discharged. Quoting Mauricio Kuri, governor of the state of Queretaro, the report said two of those taken to hospital were women.

League authorities called off the weekend’s remaining games, while Atlas executive president Jose Riestra said the episode was “truly unfortunate, very far from the values ​​that football represents”.

Now FIFA has expressed its dismay and called for those responsible to be held to account.

In a statement on Sunday, it said: “FIFA is shocked at the tragic incident that took place at La Corregidora stadium in the city of Queretaro during the fixture between Queretaro and Atlas. The violence at the La Corregidora stadium was unacceptable and intolerable.

“FIFA joins the Mexican Football Association and CONCACAF in condemning this barbaric incident and encouraging the local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible. Our thoughts are with all those who suffered its consequences.

“Once again FIFA would like to stress that violence should have absolutely no place in football and we will continue working with all parties to eradicate it from our game.”

Kuri denied reports there had been deaths.

He said on Twitter: “I know that the images of the stadium are disturbing and that the names of people who are supposed to have died have been released; but today we confirm that fortunately they are ALIVE and receiving medical attention.

“We have no reason to lie, we will continue to make all verified information available to the public.”

Kuri added: “This violent and angry minority does not represent Queretanos or our values. It is a tragedy that will be punished with the full weight of the law.

“Rest assured that we will handle the results with all transparency and clarity. We will not allow impunity to stain Queretaro.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top
1
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x