Friday, July 12, 2024

Fulham´s Mitrovic handed eight-match ban after pushing referee in Old Trafford defeat

SoccerNews in FA Cup 4 Apr 2023

70 Views

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been handed an eight-match ban after pushing referee Chris Kavanagh during Fulham’s FA Cup defeat at Manchester United last month.

Mitrovic was sent off for pushing Kavanagh after the official dismissed his Fulham team-mate Willian for handball during the second half of their 3-1 quarter-final defeat at Old Trafford.

The Serbia international subsequently apologised for his actions, though he always appeared likely to receive an extended ban after the Football Association (FA) said a three-match suspension was “clearly insufficient”.

Mitrovic was subsequently charged with violent conduct, as well as with using “improper, abusive, insulting and threatening” language towards Kavanagh.

Following a hearing by an independent regulatory commission, it was revealed Mitrovic would be banned for a total of eight matches on Tuesday, with the striker also receiving a £75,000 fine.

Mitrovic missed Saturday’s Premier League defeat at Bournemouth through suspension, meaning he must sit out seven further games and will next be available when the Cottagers face Southampton on May 13.

Fulham’s head coach Marco Silva was also shown a red card during the defeat to United, and he will serve a two-game touchline ban after being charged with improper conduct and using “abusive and insulting” language.

Silva, who subsequently said he regretted the incident, has also been fined a total of £40,000 after the FA said his post-match comments questioned the integrity of the match officials.

In the aftermath of the loss, Silva said it was “difficult to understand” why Kavanagh had been appointed to the fixture, accusing the referee of making mistakes during a prior defeat at West Ham.

There could be more bad news to come for Fulham, however, with the FA outlining an intention to appeal the sanctions in a bid to increase their severity.

In a statement, the governing body said: “Our current intention is to appeal both sanctions, however, we will await the written reasons before confirming our final position.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This field is required *

Join the conversation!

or Register

Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top