Thomas Tuchel joked Todd Boehly can watch Chelsea games from home in Los Angeles next season after the Blues once again failed to win in front of their incoming new owner.
Boehly was present at Stamford Bridge on Thursday for the Blues’ disappointing 1-1 draw with Leicester City in their penultimate Premier League game of a mixed campaign.
The American billionaire, alongside Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjorg Wyss, is reportedly close to finalising a £4.25billion takeover from Roman Abramovich.
But he has yet to see the Blues win up close, having also been in attendance for defeats to Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool, as well as draws with Wolves and now Leicester.
While Chelsea have struggled to perform in front of Boehly so far, Tuchel hopes that will change once the takeover officially goes through.
“Was he here again? Well, that’s a clear sign! He will watch on ESPN in Los Angeles next season – that’s clear already,” Tuchel said. “I mean, if it’s like this, this is clear.
“But when we speak we will be very open and very honest with each other. He will he will get my my point of view if he if he wants to have it.
“We are going to lose key players, of course, and we have struggled lately to win our home games. Plus he was also at the Liverpool game at Wembley.
“So maybe when the deal is done, and he is our owner, maybe he is the lucky charm that we need. So we give him we give him some more credit.”
84% – The favourites for the final spot in the top four are Spurs, who now hold an 84% chance of securing the final Champions League spot. Following back-to-back defeats in their last two, rivals Arsenal now have just a 16% chance of finishing fourth this season. Territorial. https://t.co/eHJaJ6yW3L
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 20, 2022
Chelsea’s point against Leicester, after Marcos Alonso cancelled out James Maddison’s opener, effectively sealed a third-placed finish for Chelsea in the Premier League.
The Blues lost to Liverpool on penalties in both domestic cup finals this term and were eliminated from the Champions League at the quarter-final stage by Real Madrid.
With just one more game to come in 2021-22, at home to Watford on Sunday, Tuchel reflected on what has been an up-and-down campaign.
“I don’t judge seasons like this because in the moment, while you’re doing it as a manager, it always feels challenging and demanding,” he said.
“In the moment you have to adapt to the situation and try to find a solution. It’s always challenging.
“That can be from results, from the atmosphere in the dressing room, from crazy things like sanctions, which nobody could have predicted.
“So it has been challenging, it has been demanding, but it has also been a lot of fun and this is a pure pleasure to be in the middle of it and to still be a part of it.”
Started by NG, set up by Reece, finished by Marcos. pic.twitter.com/nYyv7l67bu
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) May 20, 2022
Chelsea are set to lose a number of key players on free transfers in the coming weeks and are unable to bring in replacements until their takeover is finalised.
Tuchel has already seen leaders Manchester City strengthen with the addition of Erling Haaland, while Liverpool recruited Luis Diaz from Porto in January.
The situation at Stamford Bridge my remain unclear for now, but Tuchel wants to be active in the upcoming transfer window.
“First of all, of course I think we can do better next season. It’s not a lot, just these margins,” he said. “We will look into the new season.
“It is like this, but we have lacked huge quality without the injured N’Golo [Kante], Ben Chilwell, Reece James, if you see him in the last weeks.
“It is maybe a miracle we are in the top three the whole season without these key players because we missed them for weeks and weeks and weeks and it never stopped for us.
“Maybe this just needs to change so that we have everybody available. Liverpool bought a fantastic player in the winter to make the existing squad stronger.
“Man City signed Haaland already to make the existing squad stronger. We are losing players so at the moment my focus is to build a strong team and see what’s possible.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!