Juventus striker David Trezeguet said on Monday that he could still be persuaded to return to action for France in the future, but only 'if things change.'
The 30-year-old – who was a part of France's 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 winning sides – was left out of the Euro 2008 squad following a deterioration of his relationship with coach Raymond Domenech that meant even his 20 goals in Serie A last season failed to count in the final reckoning.
Now though, following the 10-year anniversary match at Stade de France on Saturday night, Trezeguet has told La Gazzetta dello Sport that the desire to wear the blue shirt has not left him completely, though it remains unlikely that he will appear in one again whilst Domenech is at the helm.
“When I took the field at Stade de France, I received an extraordinary reception,” said Trezeguet, whose scoring prowess was sorely missed by France at Euro 2008 as they crashed out in the first round and mustered just one goal.
“Yes if things change, the door to the national team could be reopened,” added Trezeguet, who announced last week that he had decided to retire from international football.
Trezeguet has won 71 caps for France, the last against England in March 2008. He has scored 34 goals, including the winner in the 2000 European Championship final.
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!