Sunday, December 5, 2021

Josep Maria Bartomeu responds to Joan Laporta: My Barcelona reign was not a disaster

SoccerNews in La Liga 14 Oct 2021

48 Views

Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu defended his Camp Nou tenure by insisting that he oversaw a “serious and responsible” period at the club.

Bartomeu stepped down as Barcelona chief in October 2020 after nearly seven years in the role ahead of a vote of no confidence against his leadership.

Barca won numerous major honours during that era, including their most recent Champions League in 2015, by which point concerns were growing over the club’s transfer policy.

There has been a steady decline in recent years and the Catalan giants’ financial problems have been laid bare since Laporta took over from Bartomeu in March.

The club’s total debt has spiralled to the €1.35billion mark and they were unable to fulfil a contract that had been agreed with Lionel Messi in the most recent transfer window.

On the back of Messi’s shock departure in August, Laporta alleged that Bartomeu was to blame due to his “disastrous” running of the club.

However, in his first interview since departing the club, Bartomeu has highlighted some of the positives from his tumultuous tenure. 

“Has our management been disastrous? I know it’s a phrase that’s been running but our management has been very serious and responsible,” he told Mundo Deportivo.

“It was rigorous with a project and strategic plan that was established in 2015.

“Sports management and the entire heritage project prevailed, economically and socially. We’ve done many projects and we’re the board that’s been most active.

“But as of March 2020, that serious and rigorous management was truncated by the appearance of the coronavirus pandemic, which drastically decreased revenues. 

“From then on we suffered from a deep cut.”

Asked again about Laporta’s comments, Bartomeu said: “It has not been disastrous. There have been benefits of about €185m. It has been a good management.

“Forbes magazine said that in 2020 the club was the most valuable in the world.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top