Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool will try to be “smart” with their recruitment in the upcoming transfer window and insists he is motivated to get the Reds firing again.
Liverpool have endured a torrid season, sitting in eighth place in the Premier League with nine games remaining, with Champions League qualification looking unlikely, and out of all cup competitions.
Fans were further agitated by reports last week that the club had ended their pursuit of Jude Bellingham due to Borussia Dortmund’s asking price.
Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Leeds United on Monday, Klopp said people will just have to “wait and see” when it comes to their transfer plans.
“There’s really nothing to say. You have to wait until we finish our business and then you will see what we did,” he said.
“We have to be ready for praise or criticism. We’ll work from the first day of the new season with the boys and we’ll really go for it – that’s much more important.
“All the rest is speculation from the media. We have nothing to do with that.”
19 – Liverpool had 19 shots inside the box against Arsenal, the most such efforts that the Gunners have faced in a Premier League match since this data is available (2003-04 onwards). Chaos. pic.twitter.com/MPbbKXfNb1
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) April 9, 2023
Liverpool have been linked with players such as Mason Mount, Alexis Mac Allister and Ryan Gravenberch in recent weeks, and Klopp expressed his belief that those in charge of transfers at the club are well-placed to solve their issues.
“We always try to be smart in our recruitment,” Klopp said. “I am 100 per cent sure that if you gave the power stick to a few people, then next season we’d bring in 20 new players.
“If you gave it to a few others, then we’d bring old players back when we were successful before and stuff like this. We are in charge, that’s what we decided on and let’s go from there.
“It’s an interesting period, very interesting and we always try to be smart in the transfer market, so it’s not completely new to us.”
Klopp is coming to the end of his eighth season in charge at Anfield, with three more years left on his contract, and he remains as driven as ever despite this season’s difficulties.
“Yes, I am still motivated,” he said. “Maybe even more, because now I know everybody here and I feel even more responsible for everything.
“I’ve said it a couple of times, it’s a little bit strange when you have to say ‘I’m fully in’ because maybe people from the outside question it. But no, motivation is absolutely not my problem.”
The German believes he has identified the problems he must solve, and is “looking forward” to the challenge, adding: “The way we defend, that must be much clearer.
“We also have to work on the way we attack and how we control games. It’s a big job, but it’s something I’m looking forward to.”
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.
You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.