Monday, September 20, 2021

Madrid president Perez is ´psychologically kidnapping´ Barcelona, says LaLiga chief Tebas

SoccerNews in La Liga 12 Sep 2021

127 Views

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has been accused by LaLiga chief Javier Tebas of “psychologically kidnapping” Barcelona in recent years.

Tebas has previously criticised Barcelona for supporting a proposed Super League, which failed to get off the ground as a backlash quickly led to the withdrawal of nine of the 12 founding members.

The 59-year-old also more recently hit out at Barca and Madrid for rejecting a €2.7billion arrangement with CVC Capital Partners, a deal that he argued would have allowed the Catalan giants to keep hold of Lionel Messi.

In the latest exchange between two of the most powerful men in Spanish football, Tebas has now claimed Perez swayed Barcelona counterpart Joan Laporta’s decision to not accept the offer on the table.

“I have the feeling that at Barca there’s a ‘psychological kidnapping’ regarding Florentino, like an inferiority complex,” Tebas told Sport. 

“Florentino is a very intelligent guy and Jose Angel Sanchez, his director general, is the most empathetic man in European football. 

“All that glamour and know-how, up against someone (Laporta) who’s been outside the world of football for more than 10 years.

“Barca were in favour of the CVC deal right until Real Madrid said no… In the last 72 hours everything changed. I think it was very much connected to the Super League and the strategy that Real Madrid are following.”

Years of financial mismanagement caught up with Barcelona last month when they were unable to offer a new contract to Messi due to LaLiga’s financial restrictions.

However, Tebas has reiterated that Barca could well have kept hold of Messi – who has since joined Paris Saint-Germain as a free agent – had they signed up to the CVC investment.

“Yes, it could have been avoided,” he said. “I spoke about it with Laporta personally… I think next season with the figures Barca put out, we’ll see if Messi could really have stayed or not.

“It wasn’t a financial decision. I know that for sure. If Laporta shook hands with Messi, it was because for a month he had accepted the CVC offer. 

“He was in favour for a month. That’s why he said things were going well. He even called me twice to speed up the CVC operation, because Messi was getting nervous.”

Losing six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi to Ligue 1 giants PSG is a major blow for LaLiga, even more so than the previous high-profile exits of other big name players and coaches in the view of Tebas.

“Just like when Cristiano Ronaldo, Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho left. We knew that one day this would happen,” he said.

“We have had the great luck of having the two best footballers in the world in the two best teams in the world and from LaLiga we have been able to take advantage of this to put ourselves on the world front line. 

“Perhaps Messi’s departure has been a bit more painful, because personally I consider him the best in history, and he didn’t deserve to leave like that, not only for Barça but for LaLiga as well.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Live Scores

advertisement

Betting Guide Advertisement

advertisement

Become a Writer
More More
Top