Monday, January 18, 2021

Real Madrid striker Benzema facing trial in attempted blackmail case

SoccerNews in La Liga 7 Jan 2021

36 Views

Karim Benzema will stand trial for his alleged involvement in an attempted blackmail case targeting former France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

Prosecutors in Versailles confirmed the development regarding the Real Madrid striker and four others on Thursday, according to reports in France.

Benzema, who denies any wrongdoing, was charged in 2015 in relation to the incident. He previously appealed against the charge but is now set for trial.

“The decision to take this to trial is absurd and unfair,” Sylvain Cormier, his lawyer, told EFE. “Benzema doesn’t have anything to be blamed for.”

Paul-Albert Iweins, Valbuena’s counsel, told L’Equipe the decision was “the logical continuation of the instruction which perfectly established the participation of the various people”.

The incident has since seen Benzema exiled from the France national team.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

SoccerNews

Soccernews.com is news blog for soccer with comprehensive coverage of all the major leagues in Europe, as well as MLS in the United States. In addition we offer breaking news for transfers and transfer rumors, ticket sales, betting tips and offers, match previews, and in-depth editorials.

You can follow us on Facebook: Facebook.com/soccernews.com or Twitter: @soccernewsfeed.

SHARE OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE

WE RECOMMEND

Leave a Reply

avatar
 
smilegrinwinkmrgreenneutraltwistedarrowshockunamusedcooleviloopsrazzrollcryeeklolmadsadexclamationquestionideahmmbegwhewchucklesillyenvyshutmouth
  Subscribe  
Notify of
More More
Top