Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hit out at the “farcical” situation that could prevent Brazil international Fred from playing for Manchester United this weekend.
United blocked Fred from joining up with his national side for their triple-leader of September World Cup qualifiers due to Brazil being on the United Kingdom’s travel red list amid the coronavirus pandemic.
That would mean players having to isolate in a hotel for a minimum of 10 days upon their return, ruling them out for at least three matches.
However, the Brazilian Football Confederation has asked FIFA to enforce a law that would block players not released from representing their countries for at least five days.
Should that be the case, Fred will not be available for selection to face Newcastle United on Saturday, although United are still waiting on official confirmation.
Solskjaer has now joined Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp, who are also set to be without some key players over the coming days, in calling on FIFA to show some common sense.
“It is a lose, lose, lose situation for everyone, national teams, players, clubs,” he said at a pre-match news conference on Friday. “It has been a farce.
“The players want to play. We know the situation we find ourselves in. We’ve had to try and find a way, but all the decisions have gone against the players.
“I’m disappointed with the whole thing. We need to prepare without Fred but fingers crossed some sense can come into it and we can use him.”
Fred has started all three games for United so far this season and is second only to defender Harry Maguire (152) for successful passes (133), while only Aaron Wan-Bissaka (five) has intercepted the ball more times than the Brazilian (four).
While the 28-year-old’s availability remains uncertain, Solskjaer confirmed returning forward Cristiano Ronaldo is in line for his second debut this weekend.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) September 10, 2021
In further good news for United, who have seven points from the first nine on offer, Jadon Sancho is also available despite withdrawing from the England squad with a knock.
“Jadon has come back in with a minor problem but he’s trained the last couple of days,” Solskjaer said.
“He’s disappointed he couldn’t play for England but determined to be fit and he’s available. So that’s a positive.
“The international break, we didn’t get anyone injured.
“Luke [Shaw], Harry [Maguire] and Victor [Lindelof] played late on Wednesday night so they’ve not had a lot of recovery but they will be available, I think.”
United have lost just one of their last 36 home league games against Newcastle (W26 D9), with that defeat coming in December 2013 when David Moyes was in charge.
The Red Devils have scored at least once in each of their last 14 Premier League home games, meanwhile, netting 40 times in total (2.9 per game).
- Soccer News Like
- Be the first of your friends!